The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
An abysmal display by Everton at Goodison Park yesterday where we recorded our 8th home league defeat from 16 games this season, to go with the 4 wins and 4 draws - shocking form that would get many a manager sacked. If it wasn't for the decent away form, we would be in serious trouble. Pressure is seriously mounting on Roberto Martinez now with many fans feeling that, barring a remarkable run of improved form and results prior to the end of the season, only winning the F.A. Cup can buy him time beyond the end of this season, and many doubting even that will do.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
I think Everton should get Juergen Klopp in to replace Martinez, he'd never let a two goal lead sl... Oh.

Roadhump

I think Everton should get Juergen Klopp in to replace Martinez, he'd never let a two goal lead sl... Oh.

Today was not the first time; they blew a 2-0 lead against Sunderland at the Tin Mine a few weeks ago when they drew 2-2.

Watching MOTD, it has just been said that this season Liverpool have now lost more points from winning positions (15) this season than any other PL club (Everton have lost 14 from winning positions), 11 have been with Klopp. I hope Klipperty continues that trend into next season and beyond.

MarkF

Guru
UOTE="Roadhump, post: 4203135, member: 29124"]An abysmal display by Everton at Goodison Park yesterday where we recorded our 8th home league defeat from 16 games this season, to go with the 4 wins and 4 draws - shocking form that would get many a manager sacked. If it wasn't for the decent away form, we would be in serious trouble. Pressure is seriously mounting on Roberto Martinez now with many fans feeling that, barring a remarkable run of improved form and results prior to the end of the season, only winning the F.A. Cup can buy him time beyond the end of this season, and many doubting even that will do.[/QUOTE]

Who won a trophy in recent memory, Martinez or Everton?

What did Everton win/do under the halcyon days under Moyes?

Roadhump

UOTE="Roadhump, post: 4203135, member: 29124"]An abysmal display by Everton at Goodison Park yesterday where we recorded our 8th home league defeat from 16 games this season, to go with the 4 wins and 4 draws - shocking form that would get many a manager sacked. If it wasn't for the decent away form, we would be in serious trouble. Pressure is seriously mounting on Roberto Martinez now with many fans feeling that, barring a remarkable run of improved form and results prior to the end of the season, only winning the F.A. Cup can buy him time beyond the end of this season, and many doubting even that will do.

Who won a trophy in recent memory, Martinez or Everton?

What did Everton win/do under the halcyon days under Moyes?[/QUOTE]

When Martinez does leave Everton, I would be extremely concerned if they re-appointed Moyes, he played an important role and was a round peg in a round hole at that time, but IMO would now be inappropriate for our future development. Although if I had to make a choice between the 2, it would be Moyes every time.

As to your questions:

In recent memory, Martinez has won a trophy, not Moyes or Everton. My obvious counter is that in recent times, Martinez is the only one of those who has been relegated. In a previous post you said you think Everton could be on the verge of something special with Martinez; I can see why you say that, but his naivety could just as easily lead us to the verge of something disastrous.

I wouldn't describe the Moyes era as halcyon, but he did take an almost destitute club that in the previous 10 seasons had achieved a single top half finish, and was amongst the relegation favourites every year, and turned it into a consistent, stable top half club that was usually just behind the "elite" mega rich few at the end of the season. He also qualified for the Champions League. In 11 full seasons he had one very poor finish (17th) and a poor one by his overall record (11th), otherwise he achieved a top half finish every season. Martinez is in his 7th full season as a PL manager and apart from one very good season (arguably with the benefit of the residual Moyes influence), it looks as though this will be his 6th bottom half finish.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Good to see a successful state handout.
Manchester City got an even better one with the Etihad Stadium, handed to them buckshee after the Commonwealth Games. And remind me again how much British Cycling paid for the velodromes in Manchester and London, or the Hog Hill road racing circuit?

Eff all, perhaps?

Top Bottom