The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
F*ck me...

What's up?

AndyRM

XOXO
So far, so England. Horse an easy qualifying group and look promising in the build up to a tournament.

I wonder if it will be different when they get to France? Or will it be the usual scrape out of the group and get knocked out in the quarter finals?

Personally I hope not. I like Hodgson and think he's done a good job of clearing out the "old guard" to an extent. England have some genuinely exciting players these days.

I only watched the second half and after the game posted that it was the best 30 minutes I've seen England play since we beat Germany 1-5 in 2001.

Upon reflection, I'd say that this performance was better than in 2001 as we actually bossed the second half for long periods. Most unusually for an England team we managed to keep possession more than 20 seconds at a time by playing a simple passing game. This was possible due to players off the ball working hard to make themselves available and also looking to pass the ball forward, rather than clamming up and always looking for the safe pass.

We showed a certain arrogance against the World Champions and I for once am filled with hope for the future. This is what I feel. Not the English media, who would have us winning the Euros after one better than average performance.

I know it's only one game though. Let's see if we can do the same against Holland before getting too excited.

Graham

mark st1

Plastic Manc
So far, so England. Horse an easy qualifying group and look promising in the build up to a tournament.

I wonder if it will be different when they get to France? Or will it be the usual scrape out of the group and get knocked out in the quarter finals?

Personally I hope not. I like Hodgson and think he's done a good job of clearing out the "old guard" to an extent. England have some genuinely exciting players these days.
And que the build up in the press of this is our best chance since to win s trophy since 66. Just before they release copious amounts of stories about players sleeping with other players wives drinking in night clubs pulling hookers betting thousands on tiddly winks blah blah blah.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I enjoyed the game and it was a good result - should've been 3-3 imo as the disallowed goal looked onside on the replays - unless subsequent analysis has found this not to be the case?

Not too excited about our chances in the Euro's though - this was a friendly and the slightly lethargic looking Germans will amp it up when it's all for real.

Thought Neuer looked off colour esp' with some of the bonkers short balls out to his defenders.

Felt for Butland too - pretty sure he would've saved that goal if he hadn't been hobbling about.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Don't know why but biggest surprise for me was Lothar Matthäus having such a huge personality.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Don't know why but biggest surprise for me was Lothar Matthäus having such a huge personality.

Don't you think the black jacket/black shirt and matching tie/pocket square was a bit much though?

I predict the following:

England put in a decent performance against Holland and the press start to build up our chances for silverware
We end up in a group where there are endless opportunities for newspapers to peddle out their old xenophobic stereotypes
Under the massive weight of expectations England put in a poor performance in Game 1 and the press turns against them
England capitulate and we fail to get out of the group

It really is a great pity that the press do this; massively build up expectations then castigate the team for a poor performance. I think that is one of the main reasons why England consistently fails to punch its weight in the big tournaments

In tonight's friendly against Spain, the Romanians are wearing shirts with calculations rather than number to promote maths for children
CekrRAuW8AIEFZQ.jpg

I think this is the left back...

Top Bottom