The Fridays Tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Probably, hopefully the only time I will have ever start an FNRttC in a cab. Bike, luggage and me to Grosvenor Crescent just behind HPC. Slightly apprehensively (understatement obviously) as I have never cycled 119 miles in one go before, never mind at midnight to be then followed by seven more days cycling. I cycled up to HPC and joined the rest of a buzzing collection of cyclists.

The anticipation amongst us was practically visible. Once we were all hello'd up, DZ spoke of bollards and bungalows and we were off. Up Park Lane at midnight - another first. Along the A5 all the way to Elstree, past St Albans and on to Hockley and Olney where we stopped at McDonalds who were most efficient, friendly and had opened just for us.

It was here that I realised we were 39 not 38. 38 bicycles and one special, magical one. Bicycle 39 had four wheels, two people (to start with), an engine, quite a lot of luggage and the most fantastic attitude I have ever known. Rather than be a courier travelling from a-b which was a big enough task in itself with the logistical luggage delivery and collection requirement, it stuck with us. It regrouped with us, waiting with others for the TEC shout before moving on and was absolutely there with us all the way.

Andrew Br and Diana were the driving team for the first part of the trip and set a standard of selflessness that practically had me in tears it was so humbling. It was a selflessness that Ian62 personified all the way to John O'Groats and this really did in fact bring me to tears several days later in Newtonmore when I was physically exhausted, having cycled into a headwind for the day, was mentally broken, was now trying to take my (overpacked) luggage to my hotel a mile down the road, but carrying things my body simply, literally, couldn't move another step. I have back issues which means I can't carry heavy objects. My feet wouldn't move, I was stuck in the street, on my own where I started snivelling like a child. I managed to drag myself across the road to a cafe where the owner let me leave my luggage. I walked back to the van and my bicycle, to Ian, where I was still sobbing like a fool, feeling horrendous that despite the enormity of what Ian was doing for us I couldn't even meet the one simple thing I had been asked to do.

Through the tears and the blubbing I tried to explain what had happened and how sorry I was. Ian took one look at me, smiled and said calmly and cheerily "Dont worry Mice, you show me where you have left your luggage and I'll follow you to where you are staying with it." I could have hugged him - actually I think I did. I got on my bicycle, he retrieved my luggage from the cafe and I burst into tears, howling all the way to the hotel at the unbelievable level of kindness, care and supreme selflessness given the incredible task he was carrying out with goodness knows how many pieces of luggage and numbers of hotels, B&B's, hostels and campsites, maps, routes and a zillion other LonJog cyclists issues he was dealing with - not to mention his own accommodation and food requirements. On top of which both he and AndrewBr are FNRttCers and have given their time up to be off their bicycles looking after the rest of us. I am frozen at my keyboard just thinking about it.

As I re-read that last paragraph, I realise there are qualities described in Ian, Diana and Andrew Br that can also be described in several others. Adrian, TC, GregCollins, Mistral, Tail-end-Charlie-Charlie, Michael, Mika, Redfalo, RB58 to name a few - and the ultimate stars of the day - Simon and Susie.

A realisation has just occurred in my small and sleepy brain. In the FNRttC blogspot, it is clearly marked "it is all about the bike". Mudguards (the removal of), racks (the removal of), pumped up tyres, oiled chains and things are all advised for the FNRttC. But as far as the team of peeps mentioned above, to them it seems it is all about the other riders - it's about the rest of us. Encouraging, cajooling and guiding us along, assessing our bikes, spirits and speeds, knowing whether we are floundering (in my case actually crying) and gently bringing us along the way using humour, chit chat, goalposts, achievements - whatever is the most appropriate for the individual to keep us moving. If this means they are out in the rain the longest, cycling more miles up down the line, communicating with each other, fixing, repairing and assessing things only to end up at the back of the food queue, the last to have a drink or something to eat, they say nothing. They join the queue and wait regardless. The rest of us fally around with "can I have chocolate on that chocolate cake please" perfecting our lattes and cappucinos, keeping the orders complicated, the queue long and slow and they just wait, continually checking that everyone else is ok. These are the qualities that make FNRttCs what they are. A real example of putting others before themselves. I am truly humbled to the core.

Obviously not everything is perfect though. I mean if I hear one more reference to trains.....!

The LonJog route was fantastic. We rode through parts of the country I have never seen before, northern England, County Durham was stunning. Rolling up and down, somewhere was the Hell of the North and somehow I just kept pedalling. The variety of sheep, cattle, birdlife, horses, - cycling past fields where we could just be part of the environment without bringing in intrusive fumes or engine revs.

The steep climb up to the border with Scotland was amazing. We had been on cycle paths, abandoned parts of the A9 as visibility was horrendous, we had been soaked to the skin so many times. User13710 had swimming pools in each shoe, Adrian was wearing footwear which was less Vivien Westwood and more Tesco plastic bags/sandals (although you never know, it might catch on).
There were days when we were beaten by a headwind which would not go away. I found myself pedalling downhill. On the other hand a couple of days earlier I had ridden 1.5 hours with a rolling average of 15mph. 15mph??? Note to self - don't stay too close to Ross! I can't sustain 15mph as a rolling average - this is a tour to John O'Groats!

I met some fabulous new peeps and caught up with others that I know and love. I laughed out loud more times than I can remember, I rode up a 13%er on the middle ring as my gear lever is broken, I have been leant a rear wheel as mine is buckled. I have learnt how to climb hills with gears and to accept that some people are just superior cyclists - LeoQueen is going to shock the next ride she does on a bicycle that weighs less than a tank. Dib-dib, dib-dib, dib-dib, up she went. We all used every bit of cycling technology known to man and LeoQueen just used her legs. Awesome. Susie, User13710 and I got up those hills, we survived the rain, the wind, the juggernauts and we were all at John O Groats somewhat elated.

McShroom sang to me, Rachel baked a perfect cake, Ross nearly killed me with his 15mph rolling average - and yet he, GregCollins and Adrian saved my ride by making me realise I didn't need to carry every accessory known to man on my bicycle or around my waste. (Am sleepy, cant spell waste). Stuaff flew up and down hills as though his wheels weren't touching the ground, Stephen and Rachel sang with Susie and I for three miles inbetween Wick and John O'Groats. The longest 17 miles into Wick I have ever cycled and I loved the A68. I thought I was going to hate it and I loved it.

In fact (apart from the over luggage walk which was entirely my fault) I loved all of it. I loved the fact that User10571 and Mark Grant came to see us at the start. I loved that Butterfly, Clarion and the Halls came too. I loved seeing Flying Dodo and Rebecca Olds just standing on the roadside at 2.30am to join us. I hated that my chain came off and jammed so badly I nearly had to go in the van - right up until Adrian flew by, whipped my bike upside down, fixed it and I carried on. I loved it when Gordon came by saying "If you want a lift, help yourself", when Xi and Jacob cheered me up with how awfully strong the wind was, how Michael smiled for 670 miles and we all laughed for England and Scotland. I loved it when we rode through two villages one after the other - the first was called Brompton and the second was called Moulton and that Ian62 could cycle with Mark on their Bromptons to be joined by Redfalo on his Moulton. And I especially loved Aviemore where we found iLB and his crew from Lands' End.

I loved the camaraderie that DZ and Susie inspire through their total sense of care, consideration and complete awareness to the entire group. I have to say an enormous thank you to all of you, I hope to see you on Friday if not another one and here are some (quite a lot actually) photos (they are best thought of as reminders rather than photos as some of them are a bit blurry and a bit rubbish!) https://picasaweb.google.com/108733...authkey=Gv1sRgCJPi6rL4gqWGkwE&feat=directlink

Mice

Attachments

• It started with a Van.jpg
    It started with a Van.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 62
  • Friday nuit.jpg
    Friday nuit.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 61
  • Cyclists by the Green.jpg
    Cyclists by the Green.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 60
  • Mice makes it to Scotland.jpg
    Mice makes it to Scotland.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 61
  • Van by the lake.jpg
    Van by the lake.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 62
  • A Bridge too far.jpg
    A Bridge too far.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 63
  • Girl Power at the top of Berrievale.jpg
    Girl Power at the top of Berrievale.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 59
  • A Corker of a Cake thank you Rachel.jpg
    A Corker of a Cake thank you Rachel.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 61

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
I'm still quite tired and sad that this thing is over. It was just fantastic. Big, big thanks again to you all, especially Simon, Ian and Mick (I was able to hijack his hotel bookings and he was able to endure my snoring for an entire week).

See you guys on Friday
Olaf

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
that's a really fabulous set of pics, Miranda. They tell a good story and bring back a lot of happy memories. (And no, we didn't go hungry)

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
THANKYOU LETTERS (to others)
any more?

Kirklands hotel at Kinross - an outstanding young manageress who will do extremely well running a much bigger place. Perfect service all round, especially breakfast for 16 at 6am.

Agreed about Mackay's - grace under pressure personified. Has someone mentioned the cafe at Brora? Proof that two people can cater efficiently for 20-something. And the black pudding rolls were a perfect second breakfast.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Probably, hopefully the only time I will have ever start an FNRttC in a cab. Bike, luggage and me to Grosvenor Crescent just behind HPC. Slightly apprehensively (understatement obviously) as I have never cycled 119 miles in one go before, never mind at midnight to be then followed by seven more days cycling. I cycled up to HPC and joined the rest of a buzzing collection of cyclists.

The anticipation amongst us was practically visible. Once we were all hello'd up, DZ spoke of bollards and bungalows and we were off. Up Park Lane at midnight - another first. Along the A5 all the way to Elstree, past St Albans and on to Hockley and Olney where we stopped at McDonalds who were most efficient, friendly and had opened just for us.

It was here that I realised we were 39 not 38. 38 bicycles and one special, magical one. Bicycle 39 had four wheels, two people (to start with), an engine, quite a lot of luggage and the most fantastic attitude I have ever known. Rather than be a courier travelling from a-b which was a big enough task in itself with the logistical luggage delivery and collection requirement, it stuck with us. It regrouped with us, waiting with others for the TEC shout before moving on and was absolutely there with us all the way.

Andrew Br and Diana were the driving team for the first part of the trip and set a standard of selflessness that practically had me in tears it was so humbling. It was a selflessness that Ian62 personified all the way to John O'Groats and this really did in fact bring me to tears several days later in Newtonmore when I was physically exhausted, having cycled into a headwind for the day, was mentally broken, was now trying to take my (overpacked) luggage to my hotel a mile down the road, but carrying things my body simply, literally, couldn't move another step. I have back issues which means I can't carry heavy objects. My feet wouldn't move, I was stuck in the street, on my own where I started snivelling like a child. I managed to drag myself across the road to a cafe where the owner let me leave my luggage. I walked back to the van and my bicycle, to Ian, where I was still sobbing like a fool, feeling horrendous that despite the enormity of what Ian was doing for us I couldn't even meet the one simple thing I had been asked to do.

Through the tears and the blubbing I tried to explain what had happened and how sorry I was. Ian took one look at me, smiled and said calmly and cheerily "Dont worry Mice, you show me where you have left your luggage and I'll follow you to where you are staying with it." I could have hugged him - actually I think I did. I got on my bicycle, he retrieved my luggage from the cafe and I burst into tears, howling all the way to the hotel at the unbelievable level of kindness, care and supreme selflessness given the incredible task he was carrying out with goodness knows how many pieces of luggage and numbers of hotels, B&B's, hostels and campsites, maps, routes and a zillion other LonJog cyclists issues he was dealing with - not to mention his own accommodation and food requirements. On top of which both he and AndrewBr are FNRttCers and have given their time up to be off their bicycles looking after the rest of us. I am frozen at my keyboard just thinking about it.

As I re-read that last paragraph, I realise there are qualities described in Ian, Diana and Andrew Br that can also be described in several others. Adrian, TC, GregCollins, Mistral, Tail-end-Charlie-Charlie, Michael, Mika, Redfalo, RB58 to name a few - and the ultimate stars of the day - Simon and Susie.

A realisation has just occurred in my small and sleepy brain. In the FNRttC blogspot, it is clearly marked "it is all about the bike". Mudguards (the removal of), racks (the removal of), pumped up tyres, oiled chains and things are all advised for the FNRttC. But as far as the team of peeps mentioned above, to them it seems it is all about the other riders - it's about the rest of us. Encouraging, cajooling and guiding us along, assessing our bikes, spirits and speeds, knowing whether we are floundering (in my case actually crying) and gently bringing us along the way using humour, chit chat, goalposts, achievements - whatever is the most appropriate for the individual to keep us moving. If this means they are out in the rain the longest, cycling more miles up down the line, communicating with each other, fixing, repairing and assessing things only to end up at the back of the food queue, the last to have a drink or something to eat, they say nothing. They join the queue and wait regardless. The rest of us fally around with "can I have chocolate on that chocolate cake please" perfecting our lattes and cappucinos, keeping the orders complicated, the queue long and slow and they just wait, continually checking that everyone else is ok. These are the qualities that make FNRttCs what they are. A real example of putting others before themselves. I am truly humbled to the core.

Obviously not everything is perfect though. I mean if I hear one more reference to trains.....!

The LonJog route was fantastic. We rode through parts of the country I have never seen before, northern England, County Durham was stunning. Rolling up and down, somewhere was the Hell of the North and somehow I just kept pedalling. The variety of sheep, cattle, birdlife, horses, - cycling past fields where we could just be part of the environment without bringing in intrusive fumes or engine revs.

The steep climb up to the border with Scotland was amazing. We had been on cycle paths, abandoned parts of the A9 as visibility was horrendous, we had been soaked to the skin so many times. User13710 had swimming pools in each shoe, Adrian was wearing footwear which was less Vivien Westwood and more Tesco plastic bags/sandals (although you never know, it might catch on).
There were days when we were beaten by a headwind which would not go away. I found myself pedalling downhill. On the other hand a couple of days earlier I had ridden 1.5 hours with a rolling average of 15mph. 15mph??? Note to self - don't stay too close to Ross! I can't sustain 15mph as a rolling average - this is a tour to John O'Groats!

I met some fabulous new peeps and caught up with others that I know and love. I laughed out loud more times than I can remember, I rode up a 13%er on the middle ring as my gear lever is broken, I have been leant a rear wheel as mine is buckled. I have learnt how to climb hills with gears and to accept that some people are just superior cyclists - LeoQueen is going to shock the next ride she does on a bicycle that weighs less than a tank. Dib-dib, dib-dib, dib-dib, up she went. We all used every bit of cycling technology known to man and LeoQueen just used her legs. Awesome. Susie, User13710 and I got up those hills, we survived the rain, the wind, the juggernauts and we were all at John O Groats somewhat elated.

McShroom sang to me, Rachel baked a perfect cake, Ross nearly killed me with his 15mph rolling average - and yet he, GregCollins and Adrian saved my ride by making me realise I didn't need to carry every accessory known to man on my bicycle or around my waste. (Am sleepy, cant spell waste). Stuaff flew up and down hills as though his wheels weren't touching the ground, Stephen and Rachel sang with Susie and I for three miles inbetween Wick and John O'Groats. The longest 17 miles into Wick I have ever cycled and I loved the A68. I thought I was going to hate it and I loved it.

In fact (apart from the over luggage walk which was entirely my fault) I loved all of it. I loved the fact that User10571 and Mark Grant came to see us at the start. I loved that Butterfly, Clarion and the Halls came too. I loved seeing Flying Dodo and Rebecca Olds just standing on the roadside at 2.30am to join us. I hated that my chain came off and jammed so badly I nearly had to go in the van - right up until Adrian flew by, whipped my bike upside down, fixed it and I carried on. I loved it when Gordon came by saying "If you want a lift, help yourself", when Xi and Jacob cheered me up with how awfully strong the wind was, how Michael smiled for 670 miles and we all laughed for England and Scotland. I loved it when we rode through two villages one after the other - the first was called Brompton and the second was called Moulton and that Ian62 could cycle with Mark on their Bromptons to be joined by Redfalo on his Moulton. And I especially loved Aviemore where we found iLB and his crew from Lands' End.

I loved the camaraderie that DZ and Susie inspire through their total sense of care, consideration and complete awareness to the entire group. I have to say an enormous thank you to all of you, I hope to see you on Friday if not another one and here are some (quite a lot actually) photos (they are best thought of as reminders rather than photos as some of them are a bit blurry and a bit rubbish!) https://picasaweb.google.com/108733...authkey=Gv1sRgCJPi6rL4gqWGkwE&feat=directlink

Mice

I'm not one for being speechless, not with my big gob... but I am at this report. Wonderful stuff...Wonderful! It seems I missed out on something really special. More fool me and lucky for you lot.

BigGee

well done to everyone on a fantastic journey.

I have just done the slideshow of Miranda's photos which are fantastic and brought back some memories of my own trip a few years ago. Bits of this trip will stay imprinted in your minds and you will never forget them.

Really glad you all had such a great experience

srw

What a fantastic experience - a complete one-off. Absolutely unique and unrepeatable. I now know that with the help of a bunch of complete nutters and St Kathleen of Ferrier we can take ourselves for our longest ride ever by some way. And our third, fourth, fifth and probably sixth longest ever. All in the course of a week.

Edinburgh. Don't go anywhere near Edinburgh on a bike. The entire city has roads as bad as the worst bits of Buckinghamshire (most of which are in Chesham). It's got hills and an attitude problem and its idea of a route through is a simple urban road which becomes a motorway for no good reason with an enormous slip road. All about half a mile before it needs to become a motorway.

Inverness in Friday rush hour is a bit of a nightmare too - the route through had everything I like least about cycling - dual carriageways with too much traffic, big long hills (up or down) with cross winds, high suspension bridges with shitty little narrow cyclepaths and low barriers, long low causeway bridges with shitty little narrow cyclepaths with grooves down the middle to catch the tyres, narrow single carriageway roads full of people wanting to go at 60mph.

But in both cases redemption came with gorgeous little quiet B roads across hills (we don't even like going up hills).

Enough negativity. There are so many positive memories. Getting scalped by Mark on his Brompton in Elstree. Scalping StuAff uphill somewhere on the last day. The little B road after the landrover centre that took us to the little bridge over the Tay. Reaching Slochd summit and thinking "was that it"? Haring into Wick into a headwind and the pissing rain (I like headwinds on a tandem - you get two engines for the price of one set of wind resistance). Marking the JoG pub and cheering Sahar (amazing!) and George on their final descent. Day 1 - the day of eight counties. Scraping into Northumberland (sentimental home) at the end of a tough set of ridges through Durham. All the times the front mech managed to find the little ring - especially on Berriedale. Realising that mostly if it didn't, it didn't matter. Stopping on Helmsdale to change down to the little ring by hoicking up the back of the bike - when it did matter. Drumochter pass - the path needs a little tidying up, but it's perfectly tolerable even for a lightweight tandem. Getting to the end of each of the big bridges (even the "bridge too far" we stopped on in Mice's photo was, if not actively unpleasant, at least uncomfortable).

And the people. I'm not good with people, being a natural introvert, but the people really helped. Thank you all. It would not have been possible without you. As someone else (Mice?) has said, there's a group of the Usual Suspects (TM spire) who unobtrusively act as glue to hold everything together. Like every group of the Usual Suspects it's very fluid, and encompasses more or less everyone at various times. It came into its own for us in particular on day 4 - the people who cheered us as we flew past them with fresh legs as we got back on the road after having brake pads replaced in Corbridge, the people who helped us with a bastard Durano plus after our blowout, and the people who encouraged us to check that tyre at the top of Carter Bar, then helped us back onto the road with a borrowed spare tyre. I fall apart when faced with mechanical problems - I'm a theoretician. R is looking to go on a bike maintenance course to make up for my ineptitude.

And three very special thanks. First to Simon, of course - onlie begetter, curry companion, cajoler extraordinaire. We did our best when he was getting his bike fixed, but it really wasn't the same. Second to Ian the Van. Amazing logistics, fantastic support. Cheerful even after 3 hours of delivering to random addresses around Tain and ending up with a curry someone else had chosen for him.

And finally to the world's best stoker. Stoic, resilient, tolerant, even in the face of the most awful provocations (whether that's being a passenger at 43.9 mph down a hill on a wet road where you can't see what's coming up or turning across a dual carriageway when your pilot has misheard you and isn't thinking straight). One of the best things about tandemming is that you're rarely both down at the same time - and if something's going wrong you've got someone else to look out for and to look out for you. We've both come to Serious Cycling relatively recently - it has always been my main mode of transport rather than a leisure activity - but R and the tandem has made it so much easier and more fun.

I'll upload our rather random selection of photos in a mo, but here are three very specific memories of what's made this an incredible experience.
IMG_3114.JPG
IMG_3164.JPG
IMG_3170.JPG

rvw

Guru
Am in awe of Rachel and Steven's stoic determination on the tandem

That's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it - I am stoic, you are stubborn, he/she is bloody-minded...

Seriously, we were buoyed up by the camaraderie,smiles and laughter so much that the muscles found extra strength for the task - thanks to everyone for keeping us going. Highlights? Too many to count... but particularly the lovely back road to Tain after the nastiness of the A9 traffic. Wonderful B&Bs, especially Glenbank, Ard-na-Coille (landlady's comment on seeing us arrive in the wet was that she'd never seen someone have to wring out waterproof socks before!) and Golf View.

But most of all, what made it was the folk. I had a fabulous time - thank you all!

srw

More memories - it will take weeks to process them all.

Timetrialling into Askern, giving a lift to an unsuspecting (but grateful) tourist cyclist on his way north. Riding straight through a shopping centre and up a one-way street ("I've been cycling that way for forty years - I don't see why I should stop now"). Stopping at Ainderby Steeple (my uncle and aunt used to live there). Crossing the Thirsk - Ripon road (my earliest experience of cycle touring was riding from Abingdon to Oxford, then catching the train to Thirsk and riding to Masham, where we had a cottage. We could just about change a puncture between the family. Anything else would have floored us completely.) Selby Abbey. The extraordinarily rich seam of mediaeval churches in the north of England. Reaching Leicestershire on day 1 ("we're in the north"). Riding through Woburn (a few days earlier we'd visited Chenies, the small and then tumbledown Tudor manor house in Buckinghamshire that the Dukes of Bedford, owners of the village and the rather large and grand Woburn Abbey had had to sell to pay the "swingeing" - in the words of the guide - death duties in the 1960s).

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Edinburgh. Don't go anywhere near Edinburgh on a bike. The entire city has roads as bad as the worst bits of Buckinghamshire (most of which are in Chesham). It's got hills and an attitude problem and its idea of a route through is a simple urban road which becomes a motorway for no good reason with an enormous slip road. All about half a mile before it needs to become a motorway.
I agree (as an Embra local) that the NCN Routes around Edinburgh are pretty awful. The NCN 1 to the Forth Road Bridge is daft.

... which is why I was so frustrated :banghead: to see you all as you turned off to Hill o' Beith (where Zee was directing you) on your way to Kinross.

I would have loved to have shown you the better, safer, quicker, more scenic route across and out of Edinburgh and escorted you to Kinross. Probably true for many other CC folk across the land as you passed them by.

Next time, let us know, eh ?? ^_^

(I know, it's my fault for not reading the FNRttC thread - but a post in some more general section would have alerted CC up and down the land ... :thumbsup:)

Anyway - :bravo: CHAPEAU :bravo: to all ! :wahhey:

Top Bottom