The Fridays Tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Now, do I pedal home to make it over the 1000 miles?
You have a choice:
Option A: ride home and arrive knackered. Enter The Brompton Hall Of Fame.
Option B: do not ride home and arrive fresh but regret it for the rest of your life.

Agent Hilda

The Babe
Agent Hilda Ride Report

Dearest Darling LonJoggers

Here is my ride report . . .

You know I don’t often have the time to sit down and share my thoughts with you or chatter endlessly on and on and one about gear ratios and sprockets and stuff, but . . . wait for it . . . this was LIFECHANGING and having read some of your ride reports secretly this morning when I should have actually been checking the toilets or whatever it is a GM of a multimillion pound media empire actually does, I decided to take the plunge and see if I could get a couple of likes.

Here goes . . .

THE RECCE
This was bloody awful! I was made to cycle literally hundreds of miles in screaming head winds and a heatwave. The Colnago had about 30 punctures and I had to stand at the side of the road NOT looking my best on several occasions. McDonalds wouldn’t let me do a wee so I had to go in a field – bloody hell! Also I think it rained. Plus I got a burnt nose.

Still we had the most marvellous pasta in Bingham and then two or possibly three bottles of wine when we reached York and I really I had The Boss all to myself totally without anyone else interfering and that is the best.

THE PREP
I did four night rides on four Fridays on the trot as part of my prep for LonJog and I have an idea that I got absolutely soaked on all of them. I felt fairly confident that I had mastered the art of staying on the bike in torrential rain and flooding should the need occur during the trip. My legs have totally changed shape.

Surprisingly His Dellness stayed relatively calm during the prep period even though he was 100% busy dealing with faffing and Daisy and I were pretty much safe if we kept out of his way and locked ourselves in the living room with 20 eps of Buffy.

Luckily The Claud came over and made pasta and rather cleverly worked out that lots of people were going to turn up chez Legg hungry for Spag Bol so the extra helpings were wonderful and it was great to spend time with Mark and Rebecca too.

We were a bit surprised that people needed so much non bike related luggage, but hey live and let live I say and I wasn’t carrying it anyhow.

THE RIDE
Dell made us cycle for hours on end every day in all sorts of difficult conditions including midges, rain and the freezing cold. Luckily I had good prep for this by being married to him .

There were some really fantastic downhills which I zoomed down without use of brakes.

I fell off once and landed softly in the grass but seeing as I was only cycling backwards up a steep hill the only thing hurt was my pride.

I was asked to read some e- mails sent to the group prior to the ride but I was honestly too busy figuring out what to wear and whether to carry the Chanel lipstick or not. So useless I'm afraid to all those who asked me on almost an hourly basis 'where am I staying?' ' whats the halfway stop?' 'are we having dinner?' 'are we halfway there yet? ' I simply had no idea!

We sang a lot of songs including 10 Green Bottles and some sea shanties.

Luckily for me I had my new socks on and that made all the bastard hills much easier to climb with only the odd stop to slurp some water (I simply must master getting a drink whilst cycling along as I am sure that would help next time and keep my mpr up which you all know is so important to me).

Some of the views were terrific! We saw many cows and sheep and some that had been shaved to within an inch of their lives. The hedgerows were wonderful, really.

I didn’t see a Red Squirrel/ A Hare/An Owl which was disappointing.

I also managed to cleverly avoid any Brompton folding lessons from Olaf! Huzzah!

THE ACCOMODATION
I met various gorgeous Landladies who did our washing for us. One had a big Rottweiller! Rachel and Stephen had a four poster bed in one place. The disco in Wick kept me awake the night before the big last day. We had wonderful Eggs Benedict. None of this really helped my nerves which were shattered most mornings.

WHAT I LEARNT
Many many men don’t like being told what to do and that’s come as a bit of a shock to me.

THE RUBE 2
She was a complete dream.

1906806 said:
Some of the following semi-random thoughts should chime with common memories

Night and Day
Unexpectedly benign night weather, owl sitting up but dead, cheery Tescos cafe, Daily Mail put to good use, bed at 8:30.

I had convinced myself that the owl was merely resting.

martint235

Dog on a bike
1907102 said:
Alas not. I went back for a proper look, it was quite dead. Other dead creatures included fox, badger, goldfinch, crow, jackdaw, toad, deer, and hare.
Dead deer?? Isn't that lunch?

I saw a live owl on the way oop north. First time ever despite having grown up in the country. Other live things were hare, rabbit, deer (obviously not your one) and horse. People in Milton Keynes seem to have a habit of tethering horses to roundabouts (the traffic kind)

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
There were live deer in a field somewhere in the Highlands, and a wild one shortly before Inverness. There was also at least one red squirrel, which scampered across the front of the ride* shortly before Slochd summit.

*Did you spot what I did there? I won't mention that the only reason we were at the front was because we arrived at a gathering point on a slope just as dell called for a restart, and we didn't fancy a hill start on the tandem.

Reactions: rvw
U

User10571

THE RUBE 2
She was a complete dream.

It has been said before.
It's all about the bike..... ;) x

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Nice photos, LonJoGpeeps. I miss you all, and I miss the anticipation of what the road will bring next. And, to top it all, I suppose I will now have to stop eating three pies a day. Insert sad smiley if that's your thing.

Nice photos, LonJoGpeeps. I miss you all, and I miss the anticipation of what the road will bring next. And, to top it all, I suppose I will now have to stop eating three pies a day. Insert sad smiley if that's your thing.
Still eating pies. Feeling sad not being out on the road with my Friday friends.
The commute has been easy but legs start feeling tired when sat in my hut cutting the logs.
I transfered all the pics from the camera last night and i'll start sorting through tonight. All ready seen some great pics from everybody.

Keep those pedals turning and see you soon.

mistral

Guru
You lot are seriously 'good people' I'm lucky to have met.

Just what is it about the Friday’s folk?

Determined, committed, supportive, gregarious, sometimes grumpy (you know who you are), willing, sharing but above all life affirming.

For me, I can honestly say I enjoyed most of the ride, the bits I didn’t enjoy .... I loved.

Simon - you’ve created a monster and your understated, diplomatic, calm but firm control kept us all on the road to the end and ensured no major incidents.

Ian and the support crew were lovely and did an amazing job.

I know some found the whole thing more challenging than others. But I think everyone pulled together with support and kind words to make their discomfort just a little easier.

Olaf was the perfect roomie, often at my shoulder, usually with another beer or single malt. If nothing else he learnt how to faff about and got a taste for poridge;)

Some pics here
https://picasaweb.google.com/107998...authkey=Gv1sRgCKGi9uHm7LPM9gE&feat=directlink

theclaud

Openly Marxist
IMG_7716.JPG

Great pic!

Top Bottom