The Metric Century (100KM) A Month Challenge ChatZone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
and a brass one for anyone who gets on a bike each month........
That's a lot more than most people do!

Actually, there have been times when I hardly got on my bike from mid-November to mid-March*** so a brass star challenge might have been good for me too! :thumbsup:

*** I once went from a mere 50 miles of riding in that time period, to 700 miles of hilly Costa Blanca cycling on a 2 week holiday in March. Damn near killed me! :laugh:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Today I took a gander at the Weald of Kent, looking for a giant goose left there by aliens. It turned out to be a Weald Goose Chase
wgc3.jpg

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Couldn't get my legs going today. That was slow even by my slow slow standards, just over 7 hours. It was chilly and I had only taken fingerless gloves :rolleyes:, so every time I sped up, my fingers froze. It was a hilly route (1300m climb) but not especially so for the N Downs.

I road tested this recipe (from the website of the company that @victor was discussing in this thread) They are ace. My wife happened to have just been cleaning a pumpkin when I made mine, so I topped it with the waste pumpkin seeds. But as good as it was, it didn't work miracles, and I sluggishly trundled my way round.

full.jpg

I even wimped out of my usual Edenbridge/Toys Hill route, preferring the easier diversion past Churchill's house at Chartwell. I saw the curtains twitch and a cigar smoking figure shook his head in disappointment at my cowardice.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

A combination of bad weather conditions and the lingering after-effects of my Christmas bug have meant that I have only ridden once in a month, covering a mere 23 miles! Not only is my metric century this month looking unlikely, but at this rate I won't even manage a half metric ...

I'll give it another few days and then get stuck in. I have a new pair of Crud Roadracers on order to replace the ones I broke last year. Once those are fitted, I will not be quite so reluctant to ride in cold, wet conditions!

Fubar

Guru
Broke my cherry for 2015, cold and icy at the side of the road but we changed the bun run route to suit then 2 of us headed East round Loch Leven - needed a wee bit of extra pedalling at the end to break 100k but glad to had got it in after no cycling last weekend and before the predicted snow hits tonight.

Today's ride: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/675540906

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

A combination of bad weather conditions and the lingering after-effects of my Christmas bug have meant that I have only ridden once in a month, covering a mere 23 miles! Not only is my metric century this month looking unlikely, but at this rate I won't even manage a half metric ...

I'll give it another few days and then get stuck in. I have a new pair of Crud Roadracers on order to replace the ones I broke last year. Once those are fitted, I will not be quite so reluctant to ride in cold, wet conditions!
I got the half metric in a few days ago.

I fitted my new Crud mudguards last night, which was just as well because I did my January metric century today and the roads were wet nearly everywhere. I was dead jammy though, managing to miss whatever rain had been falling. Not a drop touched me in nearly 5.5 hours of riding!

I did two in January, one last weekend and one the weekend before. Wednesday I broke my collarbone, but I'm not ruling myself out for February yet.

but i am probably out :sad:
Sorry to hear that. How did it happen?

Somehow I suspect I am also out of this years running as well :cry: I don't yet had a bike trike I can ride let alone do 100km on!

I can almost walk 1km in one go now, but it totally exhausts me for the day and leaves me shattered. It also take me well over half an hour and requires crutches!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I can almost walk 1km in one go now, but it totally exhausts me for the day and leaves me shattered. It also take me well over half an hour and requires crutches!
1 km is BIG progress - well done!

I think many people underestimate how quickly legs become deconditioned by extended bed rest. When I was finally able to do the 350 metre walk to my local shops after my illness, I was having to stop and rest 4 or 5 times in each direction!

1 km is BIG progress - well done!

I think many people underestimate how quickly legs become deconditioned by extended bed rest. When I was finally able to do the 350 metre walk to my local shops after my illness, I was having to stop and rest 4 or 5 times in each direction!
Yep. I am repeatedly stopping and in pain. I will have to haul back on the distance for the next few days. 900m yesterday morning, 600m in the afternoon and 900m again this morning has been to much. I just feel really guilty walking the dog so short a distance and so slowly! I'll have to take it easy over the next few days and then maybe change it to 3 shorter walks depending on the weather! I just miss being outside at my favourite time of year and the light was fabulous here this morning :cry:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I echo Colin's sentiments about 1km. I remember once being on crutches and overestimating my capabilities, that was about 1km. I well remember leaning against a wall half way and the remaining 500m seemed like miles.

Yesterday I did my first ever Audax. Hills and Mills from Hailsham.

Met @Tim Hall and chatted for a while. Nice café stop at Mayfield. Then lots and lots of grinding and slogging up hills and descending steep examples of Sussex's finest disintegrating road surfaces with brakes on full. I'm glad the organiser asked us to check our brake blocks, replacement was definitely due.

Top Bottom