The Metric Century (100KM) A Month Challenge ChatZone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Go on, I'll give this a go. Managed to sneak it in today. Way too snowy up here in Glossop but son#2 was at school in Stockport for rugby and cricket training from 9am to 3pm so I had the opportunity to go out to @SatNavSaysStraightOn country. It's surprisingly hilly around Delamere

https://www.strava.com/activities/248608735
Yep it is and some of the single track lanes have some interesting gradients as well,
But looking at your route on strava you avoided the worst of it :biggrin:

Once I'm back up and cycling again and fitter, if you want to come back this way give me a yell and I'll take you to the cafe!

Brandane

Legendary Member
Going to give this another go this year, and hopefully niggling injuries won't cause it to hit the buffers in August, as happened last year :blush:. January ride is done, albeit on the last day of the month. A warm sunny day riding near Orlando :smile:.
I've got another 3 days here so might have a go at getting February's century done in the sun as well. That would take the pressure off until our British spring.
Hope you're watching, @Pat "5mph" , the training is getting serious now :laugh:.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Phew. It's February. I'd been tempted to also try for the big (imperial) one, but that's not going to happen. I had a big ride lined up mid last week but job interviews and other real life things intervened.

I've been looking at my ride log. I seem to be getting slower and slower. I am riding more hills and longer rides which may explain some of it. I've also been riding alone, which slows things down a bit too.

Fubar

Guru
February's 100k done, not without it's traumas - mean headwind today and I was burst at 50k, was fed half a bar and a gel and the group towed me home, not sure what happened but I just seemed to run out of juice.

Oh well a bad day on the bike is still better than a good day at the office, so they say!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I think I will wait until it warms up a bit before doing Feb's 100 km ride - 43 km was bad enough yesterday!

I have my Waddington route for backup, but I will consider other more challenging routes if I spot a really nice day for it.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
.......January ride is done, albeit on the last day of the month. A warm sunny day riding near Orlando :smile:.
I've got another 3 days here so might have a go at getting February's century done in the sun as well. That would take the pressure off until our British spring..

DANG! Why didn't I think of that? :smile: My first two haven't been pleasant at all. Now I've just got to complete this challenge this year, 'cos I'm not going through that again. Next Winter I will be hibernating.:cold:

Brandane

Legendary Member
February's ride done! Taking advantage of the Florida sunshine was somewhat more tempting than 5 hours in the freezing wind lashed rainy costa del Ayrshire in February.

It was actually quite chilly by Florida standards when I set off at 9 am, and breezy too. By 11 am normal service was restored and the fleece was replaced by sunscreen.

Managed to get hopelessly lost at one point, ending up heading north east instead of south. I was off the only map I had taken. It meant getting back to the hotel by going through Disneyland from north to south, which incidentally involved the least cycle friendly routes I have been on in my two weeks here.

That's it as far as good weather cycling goes, for a while. Tonight I have the sad task of packing the bike away ready for heading back home tomorrow night :cry:.

huwsparky

Über Member
Where do we log our rides? Fancy giving this a bash to ensure I get some decent milage in through the smaller months.

Luckily I did January's 100k as part of a Strava challenge.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Managed my February one....but not without incident. Went up Colin J country for a change. Then proceeded to fall off going v slowly down a cobbled track. Cuts and bruises, but also a broken shifter which mean my back brake wouldn't work. Got to Hebden Bridge and the LBS there did a quick repair involving glue and tape and I was on my way again. Starting to feel a bit sore now....

https://www.strava.com/activities/254758166

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Managed my February one....but not without incident. Went up Colin J country for a change. Then proceeded to fall off going v slowly down a cobbled track. Cuts and bruises, but also a broken shifter which mean my back brake wouldn't work. Got to Hebden Bridge and the LBS there did a quick repair involving glue and tape and I was on my way again. Starting to feel a bit sore now....

https://www.strava.com/activities/254758166
Ouch - sorry about the bike but I am glad that you are not badly hurt!

I had some near misses using this cobbled shortcut down to the A646 on my road bike so I avoid it now.

And as for the Pennine Cycleway, Buttress descent into Hebden Bridge ...

buttress.jpg

:eek::eek::eek::laugh:

Top Bottom