The New Star Trek Film

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kovu

Über Member
Mr Pig said:
Quite rightly too.

Disclaimer: Kovu is not interested in the fact it's a Star Trek film, she is interested in Simon Pegg, Zachiory (?) Quinto and Eric Bana. :smile:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Big Screen and big noise..oh yeh....simple switch off eye and ear candy.....that will do.

Has anyone seen Transformers 2 peeks...OMFG......the CGI and Noise...oh I'll be having a six year old moment.....

I remember taking my son to the first movie (we have it on DVD for LADS time only).... I was blown away with the effects...... yeh story rubbish, narration crap...but loads of explosions and stuff....oh yeh boys afternoon out...........

Kovu

Über Member
Mr Pig said:
At Simon Pegg doing a bad impersonation of a drunk Glaswegian?

I would drool over any film with Pegg in it to be fair whether he was crap or not. :smile:

WARNING - ELEMENTS OF 'SPOILER' BELOW!

Saw it yesterday. Have to admit, I was disappointed, but then again, I'm no fan of Lost! :thumbsup:

I'm not a Trekkie either - I've seen the original series and some of Next GEN episodes, and have seen most of the films on tv over the years like a lot of other people. This was not IMO the 'better than Wrath of Khan' film I expected from reading reviews. I was hoping for something darker along the line of the Batman films, rather than something akin to the Lost in Space or Thunderbirds movies. Lots of special effects (compulsory). Lots of action, well choreographed. However, some dodgy attempts at humour (Scotty in the 'drainpipe' was truly cringeworthy - it's not supposed to be a slapstick comedy, is it?), and the 'baddies' weren't menacing enough by half, plus the storyline contradicts things that have been established elsewhere in the 'series' (Spock's mother is alive and well in TOS as I recall), and the technological solution to the cliffhanger sounded awfully familiar. OK, so maybe Kirk's bunch were the first to do it in the Star Trek 'timeline', but that doesn't mean the viewing audience in 2009 hasn't heard of the idea before!

So, I switched into 'oh well, just watch it for fun' mode and came away thinking I'd give it 2 out of 5 stars. Entertaining, but not engrossing for me. Maybe the next film they do will build on the relationships established in the first, hopefully with a stronger storyline.

Mr Pig

beanzontoast said:
Maybe the next film...

Will just be more Hollywood crap? Chewing gum for the button-brained?

gavintc

Guru
Wow, just watching BBC 1. There are some complete freaks (trekkies) on tele explaining how Star Trek has taken over their lives - redesigned their house and dress and live as Star Trek. Nowt so queer as folk !!!

MickL

Über Member
gavintc said:
Wow, just watching BBC 1. There are some complete freaks (trekkies) on tele explaining how Star Trek has taken over their lives - redesigned their house and dress and live as Star Trek. Nowt so queer as folk !!!

Being a trekkie even I dont go to that extreme. Good film, alot different to what I was expecting, have to admit Carl Urban was pretty good as Bones and some parts were funny. I think the story went to fast. Not enough time to get to know the characters better but then I have been watching ST for over 30's so I know who's who.

gavintc

Guru
MickL said:
Being a trekkie even I dont go to that extreme. Good film, alot different to what I was expecting, have to admit Carl Urban was pretty good as Bones and some parts were funny. I think the story went to fast. Not enough time to get to know the characters better but then I have been watching ST for over 30's so I know who's who.

I really do not get this. It is simply a sci fi programme that peaked in the 70's. Good family entertainment - nothing more, nothing less. Why do people feel a need to live as Star Trek? You do not get it with other programmes - we do not have people living as Z Cars (or do we!) I just find it rather strange to feel a compulsion to follow a TV programme as a life style choice. Well Baywatch might be an exception - where are those girls in the bikinis.:smile:

OP
OP
M

Melvil

gavintc said:
I really do not get this. It is simply a sci fi programme that peaked in the 70's. Good family entertainment - nothing more, nothing less. Why do people feel a need to live as Star Trek? You do not get it with other programmes - we do not have people living as Z Cars (or do we!) I just find it rather strange to feel a compulsion to follow a TV programme as a life style choice. Well Baywatch might be an exception - where are those girls in the bikinis.:smile:

I think they turned back into barbie dolls and can be found at toys r us, Gavin! :smile:

Mr Pig

gavintc said:
I really do not get this. Why do people feel a need to live as Star Trek?

I told you, it's because they're f****** idiots! Really, I'm not just saying that to wind anyone up, they really, really are.

My brother honestly does not really get the difference between reality and science fiction. You can't talk to him. As far as he's concerned it's only a matter of time until teleportation is a reality. It's like talking to a four-year old.

And if they're not thick they're socially dysfunctional or screwed up in some other way. Most of them seem unable to wash for a start, although eating seldom seems to be a problem.

Top Bottom