FNRttC The (not the) Fridays Tour of the Low Countries 2015

Which of these week-long tours would you sign up for?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuartG

slower but further
Bruges is lovely. Apart from the cobblestones......
But, thanks to my Brooks saddle, they left an unforgettable impression.

Ian at fleet

Having just remembered my log in details I have voted my choices, I was thinking of considering planning a self supported week away but if the group allows me to come along again I would be happy to tag along. With the added bonus that the wife can't say, on this occassion that I'm unsociable.

OP
OP
mmmmartin

mmmmartin

Random geezer
It'd be a pleasure to have you along ian. And bring any amount of luggage you like: as large as possible! Remember though that at this stage the planning assumes you carry it yourself: if we have enough riders there'll be a van if we can find a driver.....

rvw

Guru
The earlier week - now that I have some of next year's dates sorted - is slighty better. @srw can't tell yet whether either week is any good, so no help there!

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I'm in the 'It's The Fridays, I'll go anywhere camp'.

Having said that I voted for Ferry to Ferry - Hyde Park, France, Belgique et Nederlands

lilolee

Veteran
Bringing it forward a week could mean a chance of better weather (although I was around Lille last July and it rained every day)

My idea for the route is as follows
Catch overnight from Newhaven on Friday night (overnight rides do my head and body no good whatsoever)
Sat : Dieppe - Abbeville (66km)
Sun : Abbeville - Arras (78km)
Mon : Arras - Ypres (85km) via Olaf's suggestion of the new War memorial at Albain-Saint-Nazaire, and of course The Menin Gate at 20:00
Tue : Ypres - Bruges via Ostende (83km)
Wed : Bruges - Goes (73km)
Thu : Goes - Hellevoetsluis (66km)
Fri : Hellevoetsluis - Gouda (63km)
Sat : Gouda - Hoek of Holland (52km)
Sun: Back to Harwich and home

The only unknown to me is accommodation in the Netherlands. I have stayed in all of the French/Belgium towns and there is plenty of places to stay.

BTW
I should have said this is based on Martins excellent idea earlier in the thread.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mmmmartin

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Day one involves a busy road along the coast, but that looks like a plan. I am aware that @StuAff and @AKA Bob , and no doubt others, need lots of notice for booking holidays, should we go for a week earlier, Team?
Thoughts?

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
Bringing it forward a week could mean a chance of better weather (although I was around Lille last July and it rained every day)

My idea for the route is as follows
Catch overnight from Newhaven on Friday night (overnight rides do my head and body no good whatsoever)
Sat : Dieppe - Abbeville (66km)
Sun : Abbeville - Arras (78km)
Mon : Arras - Ypres (85km) via Olaf's suggestion of the new War memorial at Albain-Saint-Nazaire, and of course The Menin Gate at 20:00
Tue : Ypres - Bruges via Ostende (83km)
Wed : Bruges - Goes (73km)
Thu : Goes - Hellevoetsluis (66km)
Fri : Hellevoetsluis - Gouda (63km)
Sat : Gouda - Hoek of Holland (52km)
Sun: Back to Harwich and home

The only unknown to me is accommodation in the Netherlands. I have stayed in all of the French/Belgium towns and there is plenty of places to stay.

BTW
I should have said this is based on Martins excellent idea earlier in the thread.

A I probably will be unable to do the whole thing due to a shortage of holidays to spare, I'm agnostic about the date and will keep my opinion about the lengths of the days to myself.

But: What I really like is the idea to have Ypres as the Monday night destination. That would make it easy for me to do the first three days, as Lille is only 20 miles from Ypres away. (Unfortunately, the Eurostar from Lille is only an option for folks with folding bikes, I think.)

StuartG

slower but further
Dieppe September sailings are not up yet. But note if you take the overnight boat you usually get to France awfully early (before dawn). Its a long ride to breakfast. Possibly the whole 60km or so!

I'm agnostic on distance between a pure ride of at least 100km per day or sightseeing ride of rather less.

Top Bottom