The Photography Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

September

Yup. It controls the depth of field (DoF) of your shot and also the speed at which you can snap away/how much light hits the sensor.

You typically balance this with your shutter speed and ISO comes last if you're getting blur.

The higher the aperture (lower the number), the shallower the DoF and the faster your lens will be. This is good for getting complete background separation. So, in the pic below, I used a higher aperture and my background was then completely out of focus. This means my core subject is more striking and there are less distractions.

f2.8

14313488176_8349984f76_c.jpg
Giant Pine Cone [EXPLORED]
by Tom Cash, on Flickr

f1.8 (far too low, retrospectively)

8536691736_f9ebfcb112_c.jpg
Cadbury's Drumming Gorilla
by Tom Cash, on Flickr

Then, sometimes, you may want a low aperture to get more of the picture in focus, like the picture below, where I required the ball to be in focus.

f8

12134929606_51eb2837df_c.jpg
The World's Biggest Elastic Band Ball
by Tom Cash, on Flickr

As for your shutter speed - you ultimately want that to be fast unless you're after a certain effect, such as panning on cars.

14135863005_8af07316ff_c.jpg
by Tom Cash, on Flickr

This is where balancing the aperture and shutter speed come in....

So, when you're outdoors you generally have good light in the daytime. As a result, if you shot on aperture f2.8, your shutter speed would normally be fast and freeze the subject perfectly still - like this:

f2.8 @ 1/4000

14640177874_53c04c1221_c.jpg
The Cliffhanger [EXPLORED]
by Tom Cash, on Flickr

As you can see, the moment was frozen COMPLETELY (see the spokes).

However, if you wanted a blurred background for motion, you wouldn't be able to slow your shutter down to 1/60 @ f2.8 because you would over expose your picture. So, you bump the aperture up to a higher number which lets less light in. As a result, you can achieve complete background separation with motion blur.

f16 @ 1/30

10025032966_ab9251cb77_c.jpg
Honda Civic
by Tom Cash, on Flickr

Hope that's helped some!

I'm no pro, so don't take all of my advice as gospel.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
When I first got the camera I messed about with a setting called Defocus Control and it changed the blurriness of the background when the camera is in IA mode so I guess that is what it was changing then.

September

Yeah, sounds like it. IA may be aperture priority - so all you need to do is set an aperture and the camera does the ISO and Shutter for you.

Equally, there should be shutter priority, where you choose the shutter speed and the camera does the ISO and aperture for you.

If you can learn to master aperture, shutter speed and ISO - you're away!

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
Yeah, sounds like it. IA may be aperture priority - so all you need to do is set an aperture and the camera does the ISO and Shutter for you.

Equally, there should be shutter priority, where you choose the shutter speed and the camera does the ISO and aperture for you.

Thanks for the info I will have a mess about with those settings I find thats the only way I learn this sort of stuff, I remember when I first started computer programming it was the first 20 years I found were the hardest :giggle:

betty swollocks

large member
rose after rain.jpg

Cyclist33

IA is intelligent auto, which is where the camera identifies the scene stroke subject type from a predefined list and sets up the variables as it thinks fit. So not the same as aperture priority, which is usually marked A.

This will be in the user guide if you read it!

Stu

Cyclist33

The background defocus feature in IA mode is acting like an aperture adjuster, but leading the user to the outcome rather than process.

I tend to use full manual more often than not but plenty of better photographers than me who shoot on auto. Mind you they probably spent a lot more on their cameras!

Cyclist33

Still loving my awakening to Instagram
IMG_20140803_104342.jpg

Top Bottom