The plane enthusiasts thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Isn't that an Augusta-Westland AW609?

Yes, in fact it's the only one in existence (the other one having been destroyed in a fatal crash a couple of years ago. Adrian might want to reconsider his aspiration to ride on it.

Here are some pictures I took at Yeovilton a couple of years ago.
monsoon 1111 (2).JPG

Attachments

• monsoon 1106 (2).JPG
    monsoon 1106 (2).JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 31
Yup, it's definitely one of those, but they are in the same dark green that a Chinook normally is.
There was a joint exercise on Salisbury plain last year which involved the use of a few Ospreys and those were painted in dark grey.
The first thing we knew about it was hearing a very loud thumping noise. We thought it was a Chinook flying low and so we went out to investigate and saw 2 of them flying along with their rotors tilted upwards.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Three Ospreys came in to Kotoka a few months ago. They flew on the main flight path just near our house. According to someone I know at the airport they were on their way to Nigeria.

Interesting piece here from the Beeb with Frank Gardiner interviewing a crew included in a report of an Osprey crash:

US Marines Osprey crashes off Australia's Queensland coast - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-40837862

I was looking through some old Observer books of aircraft from the 60's and found an aircraft similar to the Osprey but with a horizontal rotor on the tail, it was made by Canadair, a CL84 Dynavert. I found it in a 1968 book, I also managed to find a video of some flights on the net.
One of their test aircraft crashed .

Cycleops

Legendary Member
There does seem to of been a bit of an obsession with vertical/ horizontal flight/STOL machines for a number of years and several manufacturers tried to master it. Before the helicopter was perfected you might remember there was the autogiro. The father of the MD of a firm I worked for for a number of years was a test pilot for Cierva, a Spanish company that pioneered them, they were license built in the U.K. by A V Roe. He was killed while testing one.
IMG_0796.JPG

Some were produced after the war, you might remember the Ken Wallis machine 'Little Nellie' in the Bond film You Only Live Twice. Here's Ken flying and talking about his machines:

View: https://youtu.be/_VTXVbHz1m4

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Typhoon flew over here at a fair rate of knots fairly low about 20 minutes ago. Today is the last day if a big MilAir exercise in UK airspace involving us and the Americans.

Top Bottom