The police doing it wrong again

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
A few weeks ago my wife was knocked of her bike on a round about. The driver drove straight onto said round about without looking. We were going across roundabout, There is no way in this world it was not her fault, I am pretty sure she was on the phone, It was dark so i did not see that 100%, But i would have thought it was easy enough to check, She also only had one headlight working, that i have a photo of. i spoke to the police today and they said they are not going to prosecute her. What doe a driver have to do to get prosecuted. It seems to me the police cannot be bothered when a cyclist gets hurt. WTF is going on. They will not take a witness statement from me because i am related, So basically they are telling me i am a liar. I have photos of the position of the car. It could have only come from one direction, and that puts her in the wrong.
No doubt i will be having another rant. ***************************

Katherine

Guru
Oh dear! Sorry to hear that.
How is your wife? and.. how is the bike?

OP
OP
derrick

derrick

Oh dear! Sorry to hear that.
How is your wife? and.. how is the bike?
Debs is in a lot of pain, very traumatized by the whole thing. On sleeping pills every night. To be honest i don't think she will ever ride on the road again,
And the woman who done it is walking around without a care in the world.

Katherine

Guru
Debs is in a lot of pain, very traumatized by the whole thing. On sleeping pills every night. To be honest i don't think she will ever ride on the road again,
And the woman who done it is walking around without a care in the world.

Hope she will start feeling a lot better soon. It's worth getting decent pain killers from the doctor to and any physio as soon as possible.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
It's happening far too often these days, the attitude of the police is dreadful and that of the magistrates/judges seem no better. :cursing:

toontra

Veteran
As has been said before, the police will do absolutely nothing so the only way to get retribution is through the courts with an insurance claim. That will whack their premium right up and hopefully make them more careful in the future, and the money will make you feel a little better too. I was knocked off last year in similar circumstances and I now have a Cervelo S2 in my collection!

sidevalve

Über Member
Sorry to be 'devils advocate' here but I am just pointing out the facts as they COULD be read
1 - Did you wife have lights and can you prove it ?
2 - she was on her phone 'it is easy enough to check' - true if you have the EXACT time of the accident [and not on something you could have tampered with ie camera time] and / or another witness who DID see
3 - one headlight - irrelevant here unless your wife was infront of her - who hit who ?
Not trying to lessen blame or anything just pointing out that evidence needs to be 100% watertight and clever lawyers work on both sides of the fence.

OP
OP
derrick

derrick

Sorry to be 'devils advocate' here but I am just pointing out the facts as they COULD be read
1 - Did you wife have lights and can you prove it ?
2 - she was on her phone 'it is easy enough to check' - true if you have the EXACT time of the accident [and not on something you could have tampered with ie camera time] and / or another witness who DID see
3 - one headlight - irrelevant here unless your wife was infront of her - who hit who ?
Not trying to lessen blame or anything just pointing out that evidence needs to be 100% watertight and clever lawyers work on both sides of the fence.
Read the first post, And we were lit up like christmas trees, as witnessed by the police.

classic33

Leg End Member
Easy enough for the service provider to prove if the phone was in use at the time.
They've to keep records.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
@derrick Sorry to hear this, but the same with my case. Not investigated for 6 weeks, then officer who picked up case after I left hospital decided not to do anything. Hadn't had my statement, spoke to the driver, or indeed spoke to the officer on the scene who said they would be charging the driver.

Got away scott free, although his insurance won't be so free. It's very difficult to get a case to go through as cyclists are just trash. Well that's another case I've heard about in recent times. This is getting a free for all.

classic33

Leg End Member
@derrick Sorry to hear this, but the same with my case. Not investigated for 6 weeks, then officer who picked up case after I left hospital decided not to do anything. Hadn't had my statement, spoke to the driver, or indeed spoke to the officer on the scene who said they would be charging the driver.

Got away scott free, although his insurance won't be so free. It's very difficult to get a case to go through as cyclists are just trash. Well that's another case I've heard about in recent times. This is getting a free for all.
Not just recent times. I felt that way just under 11 years ago. And to be honest I still think some still see cyclists that way.

Top Bottom