England : Surrey The RideLondon-Surrey 100 completists' ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Legendary Member
'course, the way to avoid the nastiness on the A25 towards Dorking is to go up White Down. It's a bit character forming mind.

(whereabouts does the Leith Hill descent join the A25?)

a25 to dorking.JPG

PK99

Legendary Member
'course, the way to avoid the nastiness on the A25 towards Dorking is to go up White Down. It's a bit character forming mind.

Better option would be to back track slightly from the top of the leith hill climb and take Abinger Road through coldharbour and direct into the centre of dorking and pick up the route on the one way system.

But that cuts out the great descent off leith hill, the one from coldharbour is not as nice
plus (IMHO) the traffic on the short stretch of the ~A25 through Wotton and Wescott is not a deal killing issue - and no worse that the proposed stretch of the A25 from Guildford to the Newlands climb

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
If it helps, this http://www.strava.com/activities/162595502/embed/050780a0ea087d5675364778991e57466f9d53ad Is the Strava from my test loop to try out the hills, it does include detouring because of the roadworks heading for Leith. I wasn't uncomfortable with any of the roads I did, except the A24(?) out of Dorking to the bottom of Box, although the cycle path there was adequate.

I'd be interested in taking part on the ride too. Also talking about a night version, although the stern talking to about descending Leith would need to be very stern indeed on that ride.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Better option would be to back track slightly from the top of the leith hill climb and take Abinger Road through coldharbour and direct into the centre of dorking and pick up the route on the one way system.

But that cuts out the great descent off leith hill, the one from coldharbour is not as nice
plus (IMHO) the traffic on the short stretch of the ~A25 through Wotton and Wescott is not a deal killing issue - and no worse that the proposed stretch of the A25 from Guildford to the Newlands climb

Agree with all of above.
fwiw I agree A25 ain't a necessarily a deal-killer, especially if tackled early doors on a Sun morning, but if going in a group on open roads on the the Wooton-Dorking strecth the way the group rides, and folks' expectations, need managing. And the trick is to decide the best management approach. For instance I've seen blockades work going west-east but the people at the back need thick skins and big cojones, cos even doing 30- or 40-mph+ nobber-drivers will still try and close pass on the solid whites even in the face of on-coming overtakers doing the same thing!

We don't ride the Guildford-Newlands part often enough to comment on it.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
And the last group ride I went on that srw organised I rather spoiled so I don't fancy a repeat performance in my own back-yard. If for no better reason than Stoke Mandeville is a much better A&E department than any of the local ones ;)

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
That is a formal expression of interest btw. But please to avoid the first weekend in Sept as the 'Lafster is taking us to Brighton.

OP
OP
srw

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Guildford to the foot of the Newlands climb should be OK with care and discretion - once you leave the town it's a dual carriageway which, when I first drove it in about 1997, was two lanes in each direction. It's now one lane going East (can't remember Westbound) with a fairly narrow cycle lane separated from the main drag by a large hatched area.

Longshot

If someone organised a RideLondon100 midnight ride then I would be signed up in a flash!

It sounds like good fun but I'd be nervous through the back roads of the Surrey Hills - I know those roads well and know how people drive through them when they think they're going to be empty...

OP
OP
srw

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Bump bump.

Almost certainly on for Sunday 21st September. I'll start a thread with the date in the title.

Top Bottom