Forum ride: 'Glasson Dock Revisited', 100 km (62 miles), Sat, 10th June, 2023

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Amazingly, it is 4 years since we last rode this old favourite from Spring Wood, Whalley to Glasson Dock near Lancaster... Blame the pandemic! Anyway, it is time to do it again. The date chosen is Sat, 10th June, with a backup date of a week later if we get really unlucky with the weather on the 10th.

We'll meet at the pay and display car park at Spring Wood picnic centre above Whalley at around 09:50 with a view to leaving at 10:00. There is a train arriving at Whalley station at 09:52. If you intend to come by train then just wait across the road from the station for 15 minutes or so and we will ride down and meet you there.

The route is 103 km (64 miles) in length. The only longish steep climb is the Trough of Bowland. The outward leg to the cafe at Glasson Dock is harder than the return leg, which is how I like it!

Here's a map of the route, to be ridden anti-clockwise...
Glasson Dock 2023 route map.jpg

The profile, with the summit of the Trough marked...
Glasson Dock 2023 route profile.png

A GPX file of the route is attached below.

I have 3 friends interested. Sign up below if you fancy joining us.

***** ColinJ's forum rider tag list *****
Fellow forum riders, I am planning another ride!

@colly, @neil_merseyside, @Sea of vapours, @Domus, @Julia9054, @Spiderweb, @Slioch, @EasyPeez, @Kestevan, @Venod, @Soltydog, @NorthernDave, @Buck, @si_c, @videoman, @FrothNinja, @GuyBoden, @Vantage

If anybody wants their name to be added to the list, let me know. :smile:

(If anybody wants their name to be removed, let me know, but... :cry:)

NB Make sure that you have enabled tag alerts in your account preferences - HERE (tick 'mentions you in a message')

(Yes, I know some are already signed up for this ride, or can't make it, but I copy and paste the list from one ride to the next so I don't want to edit it.)

GPX viewer

Attachments

• Spring_Wood_Whalley_Glasson_Dock_Longridge_Spring_Wood.gpx
    119.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Quick note for you, the Conder Green cafe* is bring converted to an Airbnb - long story - so you will have to ride on to Glasson Dock for a cafe.

*Known either as Cafe de Lune or The Green Finch depending on when you last visited.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Quick note for you, the Conder Green cafe* is bring converted to an Airbnb - long story - so you will have to ride on to Glasson Dock for a cafe.

*Known either as Cafe de Lune or The Green Finch depending on when you last visited.
I think it was Cafe de Lune last time.

Airbnb are taking over everywhere!

Thanks for the update, but I had (coincidentally) decided to actually go to a cafe in Glasson Dock this time anyway.

One forecast is suggesting that rain might finally come back on that Saturday... :whistle: I don't trust long-range forecasts so let's see nearer the time. I don't mind scattered showers but don't ride for hours in torrential downpours if I can avoid doing so.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

One forecast is suggesting that rain might finally come back on that Saturday... :whistle: I don't trust long-range forecasts so let's see nearer the time. I don't mind scattered showers but don't ride for hours in torrential downpours if I can avoid doing so.
Back to a sunny forecast now! :sun:

I have lightweight baggy shorts on order. I have already been overheating wearing my heavy-duty Humvees and it has only been low 20s so far this spring/summer.

Only forum rider so far is me! :sad: I will have 3 friends for company but it would be nice for some of you to join us.

The one tough-ish climb is the Trough of Bowland. All the other climbs are pretty unchallenging and we will not be in a rush.

Domus

Guru
Put me down as a maybe, I am out on a car show charity thing on the Sunday and going on a French tour the week after so may need to earn some Brownie points from senior management before hand. I assume 10.00 at Spring Wood?

Jameshow

Veteran
Sorry I've got adopted dog sitting duties apparently!

Been awa last two weekends so cannot complain...

It's a nice ride did it from Bradford at new year. Cafe at dunlop bridge if your tired on way back...

Domus

Guru
Looking promising :okay:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Sorry I've got adopted dog sitting duties apparently!
That's no excuse!

dog hols pic.jpg

:okay:

It's a nice ride did it from Bradford at new year. Cafe at dunlop bridge if your tired on way back...
We go out via Dunsop Bridge and come back via Longridge.

No need for a second cafe stop on this ride - apart from the Trough of Bowland it is relatively easy!

I'm a possibly maybe.....if nothing cocks up my finances and if the bike will do 70 miles on a charge.
Fingers crossed. If you were coming we could meet you at Whalley station on the way out and drop you off near there on the way back to save you going up the hill to Spring Wood twice and also knock a little bit off the distance.

It's a pity that the rest of you can't make it.

It looks like my pals Carrie and Kevin will come over from their neck of the woods, and another pal (Bill) will be being me from Todmorden.

Jameshow

Veteran
That's no excuse!

View attachment 692528

:okay:

We go out via Dunsop Bridge and come back via Longridge.

No need for a second cafe stop on this ride - apart from the Trough of Bowland it is relatively easy!

Fingers crossed. If you were coming we could meet you at Whalley station on the way out and drop you off near there on the way back to save you going up the hill to Spring Wood twice and also knock a little bit off the distance.

It's a pity that the rest of you can't make it.

It looks like my pals Carrie and Kevin will come over from their neck of the woods, and another pal (Bill) will be being me from Todmorden.

Two labradors maybe not!!!

Top Bottom