Forum ride: 'Glasson Dock Revisited', 100 km (62 miles), Sat, 10th June, 2023

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
My pal Bill has confirmed that he will be riding on Saturday

I'm still not up to this type of ride, but please say hello to Bill from me, and, of course, Carrie and Kevin if they show.

Bill might remember how I paced him up the last part of the Trough, or at least I gave him a wheel to follow.

He was chuffed at the time because it gave him the chance to stretch his legs a little.

@Accy cyclist was on that ride - he went over the bars at the top of the Trough after his front wheel crashed into a deep pothole.

Nasty fall, proving the old saying that on a bicycle you are never more than a split second away from a calamity.

Hope the cafe stop works out OK.

I'm fairly sure that our stop was the one where you had two slices of cake.

Happy days.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm still not up to this type of ride...
I hope that you will be again one day!

please say hello to Bill from me, and, of course, Carrie and Kevin if they show.
Will do. C/K should be coming. Last message a couple of days ago was that they were looking forward to it.

Bill might remember how I paced him up the last part of the Trough, or at least I gave him a wheel to follow.

He was chuffed at the time because it gave him the chance to stretch his legs a little.
He was asking about you recently and mentioned chasing you up several big hills.

@Accy cyclist was on that ride - he went over the bars at the top of the Trough after his front wheel crashed into a deep pothole.

Nasty fall, proving the old saying that on a bicycle you are never more than a split second away from a calamity.
Ah yes, I remember. That is the only time that I met Accy. He got a puncture which Bill then fixed for him.

Hope the cafe stop works out OK.

I'm fairly sure that our stop was the one where you had two slices of cake.
The Glasson Dock cafe has had a total revamp and name change. I haven't been there since a couple of years before the changes though.

I had better start getting ready. Bill will be here in an hour or so to pick me up.

Fingers crossed that @Domus's car keeps going long enough to get him to Spring Wood and back!

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
You've some gorgeous weather and I feel like kicking my bikes ass for letting me down. I've been after riding to Dunsop Bridge ever since since I moved house as I live on Dunsop Drive!
Hope the ride is good and looking forward to seeing pics. Lots of them.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member

I remember it well. I also suffered a front wheel puncture. That pot hole was so deep, it even claimed car suspensions I later read. When was the ride? Unless you've mentioned it I'd say about 10 years ago. That was the last time I did a century ride, doing 104 miles that day.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I'd say about 10 years ago.

No doubt Colin will have the exact date, but I reckon 10 years is a good shout.

I was on my compact AVE/Bosch bike and didn't get my more distance orientated Rose until late 2013, which I probably would have used if I had it.

Hopefully one or two others will turn up today because it's a lovely ride and it's ideal weather for it.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
No doubt Colin will have the exact date, but I reckon 10 years is a good shout.

I was on my compact AVE/Bosch bike and didn't get my more distance orientated Rose until late 2013, which I probably would have used if I had it.

Hopefully one or two others will turn up today because it's a lovely ride and it's ideal weather for it.

It'll be recorded in one of my 30 odd, recorded daily exercise diaries. That week from Sunday to Sunday I did 293 miles in 4 different rides, which is further than my home town to Portsmouth, if you go on the motorway!:smile:

UlyqLl4oiZroAlQPCwqd7oacCOzvmg?scale=1&h=200&w=652.png

Last edited:

Domus

Guru
Car survived, not the best weather for having a coolant leak.
Is there an award for the sweatiest forum ride? This must be on the nominations list. The combination of the wind, heat and poor nutrition strategy did for me on the last 20Kms. Lovely route, good companions just a shame about the missing second café stop. 😁

First time up the Trough on a bike. 👍

Domus

Guru
no really steep bits to knock you out.
Normally when my heart rate reaches 180 BPM I take a short breather to let it come down a little. Half way up the Trough my Wahoo was showing 16.5% and my HR was 187. There was no way to get going again so I carried on. I did feel quite pleased with my effort this morning, just the last 20 Kms in the wind let me down.

Top Bottom