Forum ride: 'Glasson Dock Revisited', 100 km (62 miles), Sat, 10th June, 2023

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have updated the first post with details. (I just noticed that the route taken last time was 4 km longer and included the extra climb to Jubilee Tower. We are taking an easier, more direct route this time.)

Oh, and there is a warning on the National Rail planner that trains could be busy that day because of the Parklife Festival.

Last edited:

GuyBoden

Guru
Looks like a good ride, but a bit too far for me at the moment.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
You probably saw this coming but I'm going to have to pull out of this.
I've discovered that my rear hub can't handle the power of the motor, probably because it's cheap crap. And can I find a 28 spoke 6 bolt disc rear hub with a standard quick release? NO! Wtf were decathlon thinking when they put this bike together. AAAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHHHH!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

You probably saw this coming but I'm going to have to pull out of this.
I've discovered that my rear hub can't handle the power of the motor, probably because it's cheap crap. And can I find a 28 spoke 6 bolt disc rear hub with a standard quick release? NO! Wtf were decathlon thinking when they put this bike together. AAAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHHHH!
I did wonder!

That's annoying for you. It does sound bad if it can't handle 250W plus a bit from you. I used to be able to generate that kind of power for 30+ minutes and would have been shocked if my hub had died from my efforts!

Try to get ready for a Cheshire ride later in the summer instead?!

My pal Bill has confirmed that he will be riding on Saturday and will give me a lift over to Spring Wood. For some reason he is insisting on setting off early so I can see us being there around 09:30. If all signed-up riders are there early then we might as well go when ready! (It is rare for riders to turn up unannounced but if anyone decides to do that, make sure you are there before 09:45!)

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Not for me this time.
I have cornet blowing duties that day
Enjoy that instead then!

PS Could you and Al come up with a Saturday that you'd both be free on for the proposed Harrogate / Nidderdale ride, from (say) June 24th to August 5th? And bear in mind another possible Humber Bridge ride from York. I try to spread my forum rides out by 2-3 weeks.

Julia9054

Guru
Enjoy that instead then!

PS Could you and Al come up with a Saturday that you'd both be free on for the proposed Harrogate / Nidderdale ride, from (say) June 24th to August 5th? And bear in mind another possible Humber Bridge ride from York. I try to spread my forum rides out by 2-3 weeks.

The only Saturdays we are both free is the 15th July and 21st July before the school hols start. We are yet to decide when we are going away in the summer so may be free at other times.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I did wonder!

That's annoying for you. It does sound bad if it can't handle 250W plus a bit from you. I used to be able to generate that kind of power for 30+ minutes and would have been shocked if my hub had died from my efforts!

Try to get ready for a Cheshire ride later in the summer instead?!

I'll certainly try. The roads up your end of the country are much nicer than the ones here!

As far as I can tell, the pawls in the freehub body are slipping when the chain is under more strain in the higher (faster) gears. Typically, 500+ watts is normal in such circumstances. Going up a hill yesterday I saw 1100w on the display! A new freehub might have worked, but as with any cheapo hub, finding one is next to impossible even on decathlons own site. For some stupid reason, they've laced up 28 spoke wheels on this bike. Who the hell uses 28 spoke wheels for a mountain bike! The French! That's who. Bloody idiots. And try my best I've done, but I cannot find a 28spoke rear disc hub with a 6 bolt mounting for the disc (a new disc or adapter would work too I suppose) with a standard quick release!
This means a new wheelset needs building = £££!
Meh.
On the good news side, I've managed to squeeze my old battery into the frame so I'm back to having 80+ miles of range! Which would've been handy on Saturday.... 😤

Domus

Guru
Colin, PM your phone number.

Skoda has developed a coolant leak. Booked in for Monday morning. I will set off with some spare water on board but if the worst should happen en route I will ring you.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Thunderstorms possible for Sunday... Looks like we timed this ride perfectly, missing those by a day!

I have taken my new mirror off ready for bike transportation to Spring Wood in the morning. I bet if I had left it fitted it would have got broken! I'll refit it at the car park.

If parking at Spring Wood I think it is still pay and display. Previously it was only £1 a day but that may have gone up. I can't remember if the machine took coins. One could always park on Accrington Road on the way down to Whalley for nowt... :whistle:

Skoda has developed a coolant leak. Booked in for Monday morning. I will set off with some spare water on board but if the worst should happen en route I will ring you.
Fingers crossed that you can make it.

Top Bottom