The Signings and Transfers Thread 2015

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
Yes, that's the one. Wasn't sure how strong Freibe's information was, but apparently others are suggesting the same thing - whether they're all getting it from Freibe I don't know.

Again, difficult to see how it benefits either party really, unless there are other changes in the pipeline or unless Porte's decided he's a super-dom at heart.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Yes, that's the one. Wasn't sure how strong Freibe's information was, but apparently others are suggesting the same thing - whether they're all getting it from Freibe I don't know.

Again, difficult to see how it benefits either party really, unless there are other changes in the pipeline or unless Porte's decided he's a super-dom at heart.
I think Porte has been unlucky in GTs as a team leader. I know he seems to have a lot of bad luck but I think he has the potential
to be capable of at least podium place if he doesn't suffer mechanicals or injury. Maybe Sky have lost the faith.

U

User169

Kwiatkowski says he has an offer from Sky, but wants to stay at EQS.

RobNewcastle

I think Porte has been unlucky in GTs as a team leader. I know he seems to have a lot of bad luck but I think he has the potential
to be capable of at least podium place if he doesn't suffer mechanicals or injury. Maybe Sky have lost the faith.

Maybe they're moving towards supporting Konig more who has genuine GC quality and has shown consistency in his GC placings recently.

Last edited:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
“But I’m ready, I’m in the prime of my career now the next few years, so I need to go and lead a team.”

I guess he could lead at OGE if the Yates are still deemed too young. He'd be second fiddle at BMC, to Teejay, in the TdF.
At Ettix he could share with Uran (if Uran stays) but he shares at Sky with Froome.
Maybe he has been offered more wonga elsewhere, and that's the bottom line.

The Couch

Über Member
“But I’m ready, I’m in the prime of my career now the next few years, so I need to go and lead a team.”

I guess he could lead at OGE if the Yates are still deemed too young. He'd be second fiddle at BMC, to Teejay, in the TdF.
At Ettix he could share with Uran (if Uran stays) but he shares at Sky with Froome.
Maybe he has been offered more wonga elsewhere, and that's the bottom line.
He could easily be the GC leader in many teams (IAM, Lotto-Soudal, Cofidis, Lampre,..) but support (especially in the mountains) would be scarce at best
(and - although we all know, that it doesn't impact a rider's decision - the money wouldn't be great at those teams)

rich p

ridiculous old lush
He could easily be the GC leader in many teams (IAM, Lotto-Soudal, Cofidis, Lampre,..) but support (especially in the mountains) would be scarce at best
(and - although we all know, that it doesn't impact a rider's decision - the money wouldn't be great at those teams)
Oh yes, I agree, but I'm assuming tha he'll be going to one of the teams that have been rumoured.

One good thing about the rest day is that we'll start to hear more rumours once the journalists manage to spot agents and DSs having a coffee - and then work out which riders might be up for discussion.

You'd think OGE would be his natural target with the Yates brothers to support him as they transform into GT contenders themselves. BMC are the ones he's been linked to though, which don't seem as good a fit.

robertob

I would agree on that. I think his move to BMC isn't a bad one. He'll be having a shot at another Grand Tour as leader, and maybe even get his game together over three weeks, then he can be on the podium. He has the talent.
I think Porte realized that he's 30 now, there aren't too many years left in him competing at his absolute best, so he has to move now or will never be the undisputed leader in a team. If he's going to be that at BMC, well that's a different story. But I can clearly see his reasons.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
He'd be second fiddle at BMC, to Teejay, in the TdF.

This surely has to be the biggest sticking point in a move to BMC, doesn't it? Unless they're intending to give Porte the number one spot, but I can't see Tejay being too happy about that.

BMC could potentially have an awesome line-up at next year's Tour though - they've got some great young riders coming through who could be top class domestiques, if not GC contenders in their own right eventually.

Top Bottom