Thieves After High Value Bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Linford

My Giant disappeared the night after I test rode it from my house. They definitely targetted me, and I'm 150 miles from Elland. Scrotes are everywhere :sad:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Evans Cycles ask for your house number and post code every time you buy anything, this goes on their database presumably for mailshot purposes.

How secure is that information? They have a list of every address and details of any bikes purchased. This would be a very valuable resource to any would be thief.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've just been told by a friend that he had been given a warning that people are being followed home from Ashton Court and then their bikes disappearing shortly after.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I bet the bikes are being loaded into containers and shipped to Eastern Europe. Why don't Police check cargo manifests for consignments of "used bicycles"? It should all be on computer nowadays.

Linford

I'll bet if the truth were know, that high value bikes are the most nickable item bar none for your average scrote.
You can't break a plasma telly and flog the bits on Ebay at the end of the day.

I've just been told by a friend that he had been given a warning that people are being followed home from Ashton Court and then their bikes disappearing shortly after.

I was at Llandegla last week chatting to a couple parked next to me. They told me they'd had two adult bikes and two kids bikes stolen from their garage after a day out at Llandegla last year. They were convinced they'd been followed.

This seems to be a well used MO for bike thieves, you need to be so switched on as to who's watching / following you.

Linford

How do they follow - by car, on another cycle ? It all makes the prospect oc quality cycle ownership look more and more disparaging :sad:

You can't own anything nice these days without some light fingered bastard wanting to steal it from you.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Well as I often use cycle facilities such as cut through's etc it would make it difficult if I was on my bike and they were in the car!

How do they follow - by car, on another cycle ?

Unless you can carry your bike inside the vehicle, transporting bikes outside the car on a roof rack or tow bar rack advertises what you have. That's why you need to be very aware of any vehicles following you, especially as you get nearer to home.

Even if it isn't a crew of bike thieves it could be an opportunist who's clocked your bike(s) and decided to chance it.

Top Bottom