Things you did when you where younger?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Did a lot of boating in my youth, power and sail. Came across a couple of pics while i was searching for something in our loft.

big boat.jpg

fireball.jpg

Jameshow

Veteran
I used to regularly sail this boat was a hoot in a gale!

https://hamble.boatshed.com/hartley__fijian_50-boat-165511.html

Drago

Legendary Member
Did Tae Kwon Do into my mid 30's. Went up to Sheffield for a fight and the lad I was facing was huge. I felt like Apollo Creed stepping into the ring with Ivan Drago.

Not only did I lose, but I was black and blue and sore and stiff for days afterwards. That was when I made the decision to call it a day.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Did Tae Kwon Do into my mid 30's. Went up to Sheffield for a fight and the lad I was facing was huge. I felt like Apollo Creed stepping into the ring with Ivan Drago.

Not only did I lose, but I was black and blue and sore and stiff for days afterwards. That was when I made the decision to call it a day.

As a 14 year old I tried boxing. I took just one good punch on the nose and decided it wasn't for me.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I wrote a lot of really bad poetry; I was that sort of teenager.

You are a Vogon and I claim my £5

I used to race one of these with my son , Dart Hawk F18 . Gave it up when he found women and booze. I once did a coaching course with one of the Olympic Tornado boys. He reckoned we were both mental as we broke the mast foot by putting so much pressure through it in a force 6. Also crashed it a few times with him my son went straight through the foresail and I landed on him. We then sailed a Dart 18 ( less sail area) whilst our boat was being fixed and sailed it underwater ( both hulls fully under water) sailing it down wind in a gale. It did pop up again quite spectacularly.
4c636e4999fb2097b6fd987730e6359e.jpg

Scouts and before that Cubs great character builder plus you learnt to fend for yourself and organise things. Learnt camping skills and survived for two days without food and shelter for my Backwoodsman badge, which is like getting your Para wings.

I did the full trip Beavers through to Venture Scouts, once in Scouts however I learnt that the Jamborees were just an excuse to get pissed and try to cop off lol.

Badges I was really bad, our whole troop was, got a few but none of the hard ones.

I used to race one of these with my son , Dart Hawk F18 . Gave it up when he found women and booze. I once did a coaching course with one of the Olympic Tornado boys. He reckoned we were both mental as we broke the mast foot by putting so much pressure through it in a force 6. Also crashed it a few times with him my son went straight through the foresail and I landed on him. We then sailed a Dart 18 ( less sail area) whilst our boat was being fixed and sailed it underwater ( both hulls fully under water) sailing it down wind in a gale. It did pop up again quite spectacularly.
View attachment 713476

WOW - just WOW

I used to sail a lot - but always older dinghies

Did sail some modern stuff (for the 1990s) on holidays in Greece and Turkey - that was fun
and did manage to sink a catamaran
that was the first time I met my ex - I think the Gods were trying to tell me something!
(actually it didn;t sink - but it counts because only the mast and sail were still out of the water!

Also - when younger - we used to go to a small river valley place near my friends house
We had a challenge - start at the top of the hill and go down the dusty path as fast as you can
through either gap at the bottom - tree in the middle - tree on the right and lampost on the left
then across the single plank bridge and see how far up the hill you can get
NO PEDALLING after your wheel hits the bridge - so it is all down to spee and smoothness around the corner

Anyway - then was in my teens - in my 30s I took the dog there for a walk for old times sake
YEA GODS that gap was damn small
how on Earth did we get through that gap - with proper handlebars - at that sort of speed and not DIE!!!

and as for the bend after the bridge!!!

and all this in the days before Mountain Bikes and knobbly tyres - so we just had road tyres

and my mate had a dragster - like a Chopper but even less stable and steerable!!!!

Top Bottom