Things you'd like to say, but can't

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

midlife

Guru
I guess you would have heard M People's hits though, search for a hero and all that...

FishFright

More wheels than sense
I don't like the Beatles.

I was feeling guilty that I didn't recognise many of their songs so I tried listening to a YouTube compilation; I gave up after ten minutes and tried a different one from a different era. That lasted five.

I'm sure they're all the things people say about them, but I don't get it.

My wife, a keen musician and music teacher, is apalled.

LSD helps

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I don't like the Beatles.

I was feeling guilty that I didn't recognise many of their songs so I tried listening to a YouTube compilation; I gave up after ten minutes and tried a different one from a different era. That lasted five.

I'm sure they're all the things people say about them, but I don't get it.

My wife, a keen musician and music teacher, is apalled.

You have my support Andy. Never saw the appeal.

Ditto, not my cup of tea either, but I appreciate that they reflected a moment in time - post-war gloom left behind and a fresh and vibrant swinging 60's etc.

Like most music, best left in the past and maybe revisited very occasionally.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Dear whoever-plans-operation-of-the-UK-rail-network... (somebody does actually plan it, right? :whistle:)

Could you please explain to a poor ignorant passenger sorry, customer, how this makes any kind of sense...?

I get on a London-bound West Midlands train in Coventry, take it to Northampton, and get off there. Price: £12. I get on the same train to Northampton, but don't get off there. I stay on for another couple of stations and get off at Milton Keynes instead. Price £11.50. :wacko:

Is Milton Keynes council so desperate to poach shoppers from Northampton that they subsidise tickets to MK? If so, somebody should point out that a Northampton passenger could simply buy a Milton Keynes ticket and disembark 2 stops early! :laugh:
And while we are on that subject...

It is awfully nice of you to pay me to use the train to get from Todmorden to Leeds to catch a train to Exeter, and then pay me to get back from Leeds again after my holiday, but is that really any way to operate a railway service? :wacko:

(A return ticket from Leeds to Exeter is £98-something with my railcard. A return ticket from Todmorden to Exeter via Leeds is only £97-something, and that is using the same trains from Leeds to Exeter and Exeter to Leeds!)

november4

Things you'd like to say, but can't....​

Lets cut the defence budget in half, give rest to NHS, then get more money for NHS by drilling for oil and gas and selling it to europe, banking half profit to NHS and the other half to pay down the debt

New cycle lanes should have a physical barrier on traffic side, as for cars we can weld steel, for humans we cannot weld them

No one over 65 should be taxed on their pension income, unless its chunky enough to not matter so much

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
A return ticket from Leeds to Exeter is £98-something with my railcard.
Are you not a pensioner now?
Apply for your NEC (can be done online), you get a hefty discount on rail fares, on the underground too.
And of course free bus travel.

ColinJ

Are you not a pensioner now?
Apply for your NEC (can be done online), you get a hefty discount on rail fares, on the underground too.
And of course free bus travel.
What's that... speak up! Er, yes - I AM a pensioner.

What is an NEC - 'C' for card? PS I just looked it up - a Scottish National Entitlement Card.

I have a Senior rail card so I get 1/3 off - that costs me about £70 for 3 years but I save about 4 times that every year. Those fares would be nearer £150 without the card and I make the trip 4 times a year. I have started using buses again since getting free bus travel.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
What is an NEC - 'C' for card? PS I just looked it up - a Scottish National Entitlement Card.
Sorry, I thought by National it meant UK wide
I have started using buses again since getting free bus travel.
This is the card that gives you a hefty discount on trains, underground, also certain venues like theaters and cinemas.
Here even the hairdressers have a "concession card holders" day where pensioners get a discount.
How do you call your OAP bus pass card in England?

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I have a Senior rail card so I get 1/3 off

Do you have (or need) a hearing aid? Having one qualifies you for a disabled person’s railcard which gets you 1/3rd off all fares. I know you get that already but there are no time restrictions on this one AND the person travelling with you gets the same discount. Cost for 3 years is £54.

ColinJ

How do you call your OAP bus pass card in England?
They call it a 'senior travel pass'. I recently found out that the bus pass can be used on trains in West Yorkshire. I don't get those journeys free, but I get them at half price rather than one third off with my rail card.

Do you have (or need) a hearing aid? Having one qualifies you for a disabled person’s railcard which gets you 1/3rd off all fares. I know you get that already but there are no time restrictions on this one AND the person travelling with you gets the same discount. Cost for 3 years is £54.
That's interesting - thanks! I do have a hearing aid, although I haven't started using it yet. (I went for a hearing test and they gave it to me without me asking for it.) I'll look into that next year when the current pass runs out.

Top Bottom