Thinking about Ultegra 6800 - a couple of questions.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I'm sick of the mediocre shifting on my existing "hidden cables" Ultegra 6700 so am thinking of upgrading to 6800.

1 - Will the slightly narrower 11 speed chain work with the chainrings on my existing 10 speed FSA chainset?

2 - If so, I will not be wanting the BB or chainset. Apart from Ribble Cycles, who else will sell me the groupset incomplete?

I'm interested to know the answer to this. I've just upgrade to a 6800 bike with an FSA SLK Light Carbon chainset. I assumed it was just a standard size but reading the blurb on wiggle the one they sell is 9 and 10 speed compatible.

Will do some research and see if I can find out - unless anyone knows right now?

The following has been asked on the FSA site for my particular crankset/chainrings so I presume the answer will be generic

Will an FSA crank work with my Campagnolo, SRAM, or Dura-Ace 9/10 speed?
Yes, FSA Cranks are compatible with all of the above. For more specific information see FAQs on Shifting

*excuse the bold - cut and paste from their web site!

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Mine is also FSA SLK light. I will email FSA - maybe they can supply 11 speed chainrings?

If it won't work, I've got a problem because my frame is BB30.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
The following has been asked on the FSA site for my particular crankset/chainrings so I presume the answer will be generic

Will an FSA crank work with my Campagnolo, SRAM, or Dura-Ace 9/10 speed?
Yes, FSA Cranks are compatible with all of the above. For more specific information see FAQs on Shifting

*excuse the bold - cut and paste from their web site!

We are discussing 11 speed here though.

Also for clarity - the FSA SL-K light currently says 10 and 11 speed compatible - so I presume 6700 and 6800 compatible.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Hmmm... yes, it says "Available for Sram and Shimano 10 and 11 speed". I have emailed them to check and to ask if they supply 11 speed chainrings.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
The chains are thinner on 11 speed which could be an issue
I'm sick of the mediocre shifting on my existing "hidden cables" Ultegra 6700 so am thinking of upgrading to 6800.

Is the shifting problem due to the hidden cables though? Have you tried re-cabling the bike with upgraded cables?

potsy

Rambler
Mediocre shifting on a near top of the range groupset seems more like a set-up problem to me, how much better are you expecting 6800 to be?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Go on.....?

Basically it is unlikely to be the groupset itself that is at fault... something is preventing it from working properly, i.e. shoot cables, poor set up, bad cable routing, using other components or frame which route the cables poorly etc. So buying an "upgraded" groupset (which due to the additional gears will likely have even finer levels of indexing and be more susceptible to poor set up) won't remedy the issue, well it might, but it most likely won't be the upgrade itself that solves the problem, it will probably be the new cables and/or careful routing while installing it.

I would suggest starting from scratch with your current groupset before dropping a load of cash on a new groupset!

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
I really can't see why the internal cabling on my new Roubaix SL4 should be any worse than the external cabling on the previous Roubaix Comp, which is working fine with 105. The cables still run under the bar tape and follow the same curves around the frame. I have read though that Ultegra 6700 is not considered Shimano's best effort and 6800 is massively better.

My constant problem is the rapid deterioration of shifting performance on the rear derailleur; I fit a new cable outer and lube everything lightly with a dry chain lube, I'm using Shimano inner and outer cable, I've checked and straightened the derailleur hanger (which was a tiny bit out of line) but still the shifting starts good but deteriorates within 50 - 100 miles of fitting each new cable outer. I'm a fairly experienced bike fettler but this is frustrating me a lot.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I really can't see why the internal cabling on my new Roubaix SL4 should be any worse than the external cabling on the previous Roubaix Comp, which is working fine with 105. The cables still run under the bar tape and follow the same curves around the frame. I have read though that Ultegra 6700 is not considered Shimano's best effort and 6800 is massively better.

My constant problem is the rapid deterioration of shifting performance on the rear derailleur; I fit a new cable outer and lube everything lightly with a dry chain lube, I'm using Shimano inner and outer cable, I've checked and straightened the derailleur hanger (which was a tiny bit out of line) but still the shifting starts good but deteriorates within 50 - 100 miles of fitting each new cable outer. I'm a fairly experienced bike fettler but this is frustrating me a lot.

Are you also changing the cable inner when changing the outer? Because that would explain why within 50-100 miles it goes downhill, the cable is stretching and needs to be re-indexed a few times usually.

I don't know what Shimano outers and inners are like in the grand scheme of things, but you could try something more upmarket. I like Gore cables.

Top Bottom