Thinking about Ultegra 6800 - a couple of questions.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
On advice from a bike mechanic I've fitted a proper Shimano cable inner (rather than just LBS bulk cable inner) and that has improved matters and I'm constantly fiddling with the indexing to keep it good, this is routine to me and I'm familiar with derailleur setup. But still the shifting is deteriorating now after only two or three rides with the new inner cable.

Would using Gore cables make a big difference?

No idea about compatability Ive upgraded to 6700 about 1000miles ago (from 105 coincidently) as I got it second hand from a mate can't say I fault its shifting or the internally routed cables on my other bike which have done a lot more miles. It sounds more like a set up cabling issue to me with your 6700, that you'll probably encounter with the 6800 too.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
On advice from a bike mechanic I've fitted a proper Shimano cable inner (rather than just LBS bulk cable inner) and that has improved matters and I'm constantly fiddling with the indexing to keep it good, this is routine to me and I'm familiar with derailleur setup. But still the shifting is deteriorating now after only two or three rides with the new inner cable.

Would using Gore cables make a big difference?

Like I said, I don't really know what the Shimano cables are like, so couldn't say.

simon.r

Person
I'm another who's been running Ultegra 6700 for ~1000 miles and hasn't had to touch it since installation (except the limit screws on the front mech after the first ride).

That doesn't help the OP, but IME Shimano kit very very rarely goes wrong. I supposed it's possible you have a 'Friday afternoon' groupset, but I'd be tempted to take everything off the bike and do a very careful re-install before junking it.

Edit - I found this useful.

View: http://vimeo.com/8613681
Even though I consider myself a reasonably competent home mechanic it was worth watching the video.

Last edited:

tdm

Über Member
I'd try some better cables first. I think Shimano make several types of varying quality so if you don't have their most expensive ones you can try those first. Before you shell out for 6800 it might be worth spending a bit of money on some high-end cables. Something like Nokon/Yokozuna/Alligator I-links.

I had a load of shifting problems using Jagwire cables on my Shimano 105 setup but after switching to nice Shimano cables the shifting was much improved.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Thanks. It is better since I fitted the Shimano inner, which does seem to be of a better quality than a standard cable. Also straightening the hanger may have improved matters, plus the dry weather. I'm waiting to see what happens.

Top Bottom