this is the first time we've prosecuted a driver for murder in a road rage incident

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Yes we do.

You do realise it's not pantomime season for another three months?

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
The victim had the decency to challenge this man for using his phone while in control of many tons of metal and he paid for it with his life,may he rest in peace. The killer had a history of road rage incidents according to the local news,maybe he shouldn't have held an HGV license in the first place?

OP
OP
shouldbeinbed

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I wonder what made the difference and led to the charge of murder?
It reads like they took account of his previous history in the charging and sentencing decisions.

Also seem to have taken it as read that a grown adult in a Hi Viz jacket stood in front of the windscreen could not possibly have not been seen. An interesting thought for all those invisible cyclists that drivers plough into having spent as much or more time visible in front of them?

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I see the guy has been imprisoned for life, and banned from driving for 5years when he gets out... what's wrong with a lifetime driving ban too?

MontyVeda

In the normal run of things I would say nothing, I would love to see lifetime driving bans for many people. In this case though I would say that there shouldn't be any driving ban. It was murder using a vehicle as a weapon, so adding in any element of treating it as a driving offence seems to me to undermine the seriousness of the matter.
so you think he should be allowed to drive again as soon as he's released? :wacko:

MontyVeda

In the same way that a rehabilitated murderer who whacked someone over the head with a chair wouldn't loose their sitting rights.
but this guy has demonstrated on a number of occasions that he's inattentive when driving a vehicle and aggressive when challenged about his driving... but lets forget that in light of your stupid 'chair' analogy.

Certainly (and sadly) not the first time its happened - one other I can think of straight away: http://road.cc/content/news/17331-r...murdering-cyclist-who-clipped-his-wing-mirror

Also, I think Adrian's right here. It only lessens the offense of murder to equate it to a driving offense. If bad driving caused a death, then charge with death by dangerous and include a driving ban. If there was true intent, and the car was used as a weapon, treat it as the aggravating factor it is when considering whether that person should be released back into public at all, to use those deadly weapons again. A lifetime ban isn't needed if the offender is never considered suitable for release, and a five year driving ban isn't needed if the judge adds five years into the 'earliest date to consider release'.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
In the same way that a rehabilitated murderer who whacked someone over the head with a chair wouldn't loose their sitting rights.

If he's used something for which he needs to be licensed, be that a car, a lorry, or a gun, I reckon it'd be a Good Idea(™) to remove his lawful access to those things.

GC

Top Bottom