this will set the cat amongst the pigeons

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
P

peanut

lukesdad said:
Article missed the point its only a snapshot of a few riders riding up one hill !

Not really an article :biggrin: more of a scientific study :angry: its how we find out about things when we haven't got a copy of the Sun handy :smile:

lukesdad

........I sense Jimbos understudy beginning to blossom ! ;):biggrin::biggrin:

lukesdad

.... but seriously,in my experience the reason high cadence gets the slating it does,is most riders who try it without success simply dont give it long enough(or are non-believers to start with).

I saw the light(praise be to God :evil:)when i started serious mtb racing(although the primary reason here is traction). My performances on the road inceased dramaticaly.

Body size is also a bit of a red herring (unless of course you are very heavy in the legs) Mtbers come in all sizes and they all spin but they do it all day every day. Which brings me to my next point. TIME.The distances and terrain you are riding will have a bearing. The shorter the time the more power you need granted. But how many of us sprint a few laps of the track as our daily ride? Generally in all other disciplines riders would benefit from learning and training to spin.

Try it over the winter and become a convert or die out with the rest of the dinosaurs! :laugh::biggrin::biggrin:

Molecule Man

I think I ride with quite a high cadence, I've not measured it accurately, but I would guess somewhere around 90 rpm, sometimes maybe higher.

It's a habit I got into in the belief that it would be easier on my knees. Am I kidding myself about this? I can't remember where I got the idea from.

Will1985

Über Member
lukesdad said:
Mtbers come in all sizes and they all spin but they do it all day every day.
Why do they do this over every surface? I was in Snowdonia for a stag weekend 2 weeks ago and we went mountain biking. Even on the fireroads with the slightest incline, the proper MTBers were spinning low gears while I was doing 90rpm but flying up them in a bigger gear. Do they not have much power in their legs?

lukesdad

Will1985 said:
Why do they do this over every surface? I was in Snowdonia for a stag weekend 2 weeks ago and we went mountain biking. Even on the fireroads with the slightest incline, the proper MTBers were spinning low gears while I was doing 90rpm but flying up them in a bigger gear. Do they not have much power in their legs?

They ll still be riding when youve hit the wall simple.

lukesdad

Yeah but they ll be sitting at the top of snowdon watching you riding around the fire roads in the valleys below Hee Hee !

Will1985

Über Member
True....as much as I enjoyed it, I'm going to stick to road and time trialling.

OP
OP
P

peanut

lukesdad said:
Yeah but they ll be sitting at the top of snowdon watching you riding around the fire roads in the valleys below Hee Hee !

oh deary me who has lost his teddy bear then :evil::biggrin::biggrin:
High cadence was a fad just like anything else. Its day has past now that some considerable scientific study has been conducted and disproved the theory.

There will always be some who blindly follow others without ever knowing where the idea has come from or what merit it has if any.

Any intelligent person would observe the truth for themselves and watch the elite and pro riders in the peleton .

Ask yourself why they all ride at different cadences whether climbing, on the level, sprinting, or just cruising. Are they all wrong as well ?

Lastly I would say that anyone who can't tell the difference between an 11 stone rider and a 17 stone rider in terms of physiolgy and cycling capabilities must be a red herring:thumbsup::laugh:;)

AndyJB

sooooo
Did they consider the recovery time, this could indicate the level of effort and the delay back to full excursion.

lukesdad

Who ever suggested mtbers were intelligent beings,we just ride faster for longer, and recover quicker. Sorry but roadies are the herd followers thats why you ride in groups sorry again P-E-L-E-T-O-N-S your so intelegent you can t even invent your own word for them!!!!!!:biggrin:;)

OP
OP
P

peanut

lukesdad said:
Who ever suggested mtbers were intelligent beings,we just ride faster for longer, and recover quicker. Sorry but roadies are the herd followers thats why you ride in groups sorry again P-E-L-E-T-O-N-S your so intelegent you can t even invent your own word for them!!!!!!:biggrin:;)

I think you may be on the wrong board sunshine. MTBers are all over on retro;)

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
now, now Peanut, don't personalise this they're only having a bit of fun

Top Bottom