Tights over bib shorts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobdaspider

Regular
I prefer using regular running / gym tights (at £20 each) over shorts, as it means I can wear the tights for between 4 and 6 rides before they need to be washed and obviously just wear clean shorts for every ride. The alternative is to buy bib tights at £80 each (re one use before wash) meaning you'd have to buy 4 or 5 of them for a week's riding = £320 to £400.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
attachment.png

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I prefer using regular running / gym tights (at £20 each) over shorts, as it means I can wear the tights for between 4 and 6 rides before they need to be washed and obviously just wear clean shorts for every ride. The alternative is to buy bib tights at £80 each (re one use before wash) meaning you'd have to buy 4 or 5 of them for a week's riding = £320 to £400.

You can get unpadded cycling longs, bib & otherwise, for wearing over shorts.

bobdaspider

Regular
You can get unpadded cycling longs, bib & otherwise, for wearing over shorts.

Thanks Ian - I have looked for these options without much success. I do have one pair of unpadded cycling longs which are a few years old but in good condition. It just doesn't make sense to have 5 pairs of padded cycling longs when you can have one pair of unpadded cycling and shorts - shorts which are used all year round. I'm assuming that companies like Wiggle / manufacturers are keen to sell the padded options as they cost more meaning they make a greater profit...?

Reactions: C R

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Thanks Ian - I have looked for these options without much success. I do have one pair of unpadded cycling longs which are a few years old but in good condition. It just doesn't make sense to have 5 pairs of padded cycling longs when you can have one pair of unpadded cycling and shorts - shorts which are used all year round. I'm assuming that companies like Wiggle / manufacturers are keen to sell the padded options as they cost more meaning they make a greater profit...?

I've never tried to buy shorts or longs online, but a google-search for 'unpadded bib longs' brought up several options.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I'm still wearing shorts on the bike, but have the arm warmers on almost every ride now. Won't be long I suspect until I'm wearing long sleeved jersey, and leg warmers.

i managed a ride to work yesterday afternoon in shorts , like you say its close to the point where that will cease

Jameshow

Veteran
The advantage of this is that it allows you to use old shorts that have worn a bit thin for plenty more years- just be sure to keep them separate from your good shorts!

On my lejog pre COVID, in Scotland I wore padding tights over padded shorts and my backside thanked me, come lunch time it had warmed up around fort William and I was able to remove them!👍

Top Bottom