time, energy and frustration

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thunderlips76

climbs for cake
So I've had my bike about 3 weeks, got the gear I need to start. So far I've done 65 miles over 5 rides. a couple of 20+ miler rides in that total.......i love it.......BUT.......life is getting in the way. Basically I haven't been able to do more then 5 miles this week, I work in a restaurant so some times my shifts can be horrendous, with 4/5 hours sleep in-between shifts , just takes the energy right out of you. Running wise I can bang out a 5k in 30 minutes and lose 600cal, to match that on the bike I'd be doing 20 miles, about 2 hours riding ( for me). I'm finding it frustrating that I can't seem to get the time, and I guess I've felt guilty for not getting out there. Anyone else suffer from not enough time and guilt? :sad:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
So I've had my bike about 3 weeks, got the gear I need to start. So far I've done 65 miles over 5 rides. a couple of 20+ miler rides in that total.......i love it.......BUT.......life is getting in the way. Basically I haven't been able to do more then 5 miles this week, I work in a restaurant so some times my shifts can be horrendous, with 4/5 hours sleep in-between shifts , just takes the energy right out of you. Running wise I can bang out a 5k in 30 minutes and lose 600cal, to match that on the bike I'd be doing 20 miles, about 2 hours riding ( for me). I'm finding it frustrating that I can't seem to get the time, and I guess I've felt guilty for not getting out there. Anyone else suffer from not enough time and guilt? :sad:

No - I don't suffer from guilt.

But - even though I am semi-retired (worked a whopping 800 hours last year) I still struggle to find time. Not sure why really.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I think the calories burned is a bit to high, i checked 2 calorie calculators and they came in around 420 calories at the pace you mentioned although 5 k in 30 minutes is ok but not really hammering it .
A 2 hour ride at 10 mph is around 800-900 calories , remember with cycling the faster you ride the more energy you use as wind resistance increases effort exponentially .
heres a break down of one calculator based on 11 stone
10-12 mph for 30 mins = 210
12-14 mph for 30 mins = 280
14-16 mph for 30 mins = 350
16-20 mph for 30 mins = 420

How far is it to work ? have you considered commuting ?

vickster

Legendary Member
Do what you can, when you can and watch what you are eating and especially drinking if weight loss your goal, you can't lose by exercise alone

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Having worked in catering all my life, I sympathize.
Those crazy shift, I flatly refuse to do them nowadays. Might do one, but next day they need to give me sleep time.
Bottom line is, catering, specially restaurant work, is a job that, if you allow it, will leave you no time or energy for anything else.
Renegotiate your shifts or put the bike in the back burner for now, no point killing yourself.
Of course, if it it quicker to cycle to work and back than using other transport, you gain time in your day, so you could do that. I find I'm never too tired to cycle the half hour to work, probably because the alternative would be one hour and a half on public transport.

GlenBen

Über Member
Neither, I commute 7 miles to work, 40 ish back depending on route. Is that an option?

Wouldnt be so hard on yourself though, yes its enjoyable but it is still just a hobby. Maybe if burning calories is a priority, run on the work days and save the days off for big rides. I work in retail so have a similar situation, often have a 23:00 finish with a 5.00 start ( those times my commute home is NOT 40+). But i see it as a good chance to get some miles in after the early shift.

Top Bottom