Toe Nail Problem - warning contains picture of big toe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
I reckon if he's lived with a foul toe like that for a year, he won't need the whiskey ;)
Sterilize the open wound afterwards, or drink beforehand to numb the pain.

Pair of bone scissors he can borrow.

GM

Legendary Member
Get your GP to prescribe some Terbinafine tablets. I've got a bit of big toe fungi at the moment, podiatrist also recommended soaking your feet in a bowl of warm salty water. So that's my daily ritual, giving them a good soak while I'm watching Pointless!

wisdom

Guru
From my wifes experience expensive over the counter treatments x 2 didnt touch it.GP prescribed tablets cleared up after the course was completed. Cost of 1 prescription

classic33

Leg End Member
I'd say it'll be cut across, as low as possible, to allow for treatment and the new nail to grow.

What's wrong with the Irish "stuff"? Do the Scots make "holy water"?
I've only found 1 Irish one I like!

[QUOTE 3708910, member: 9609"]feet havn't been wet all day for years, used to often happen with my hillwalking - first noticed it at the base of the nail last summer, presumed it must have been damaged or something, cant say I have really looked at it since, normally clip then in the bath so difficult to see them properly without the glasses on and soapy water - it snagged on the bed clothes last night hence the proper inspection today, hadn't realised there was a hole in the dam thing. providing I remember i will go and see the doc on Monday see if I can get it cleared up.[/QUOTE]

Mine went exactly the same way after I dropped something on where the nail root stems from. It hurt like blazes. It took a while for it to occur but I can only assume I damaged the growing nail root which left it with a similar hole for a fungi to get into. Mine has almost grown back now but probably has another 3-4mm to go before it is a complete nail again. I have managed to cure it after the nail dropped off by keeping the nail bed and new nail covered with Curanail religiously or more accurately getting my husband to apply it for the last 7 months... :whistle:

I was brought up on the stuff .... And my grandfather gave me my first taste when I was born apparently. It's incredibly medicinal .... Very good for colds, even the teetotal rellies used it like that.
I was also brought up on the stuff, only it was the west cost whisky rather than whiskey having a lot to do with where I was born and where my real father worked.

Top Bottom