Too old for the care home residents weekly entertainment question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
The thought of being trapped in a home with non- stop musicals, Jim Reeves and Elvis scares me.
Er, Jim Reeves was my mum's favourite crooner I'll have you know.... much to my dad's disdain. :okay: I had Distant Drums played at her cremation service arrival and I Won't forget You as the curtains closed. On about non stop musicals though, whenever I went to see her in those 5 years in her care home, they always had the musical Mama Mia on Television/CD repeat, The thing is that over those 5 years I hardly saw any resident watching it.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Venod

Eh up
The thing is that over those 5 years I hardly saw any resident watching it.:rolleyes:
If it was on repeat they were probably sick of seeing it.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
You have fair old span of ages in a care home, from 60s up to 90's,100+s.

e.g. My Dad and Gran were in (different) Care homes at the same time, so finding entertainment that appeals to all can be tricky. I think they would be a bit livelier though if they played a bit of punk....

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
This gives me memories of being in the School Choir and traipsing along to old folks homes and so on to sing things like 'Keep the home fires burning' and other such things. It was always rather condescendingly touted as

"They are old, so they will LOVE it and remember the war and the 'good old days!".

I remember even as a kid thinking that it was a load of crap and must have been torture for some.

"Oh no, not Vera Bloody Lynn again, if I ever 'meet her again', then I'll...!"

It was all so formulaic - They are old, so just HAVE to love it!

I see nothing has changed! 🙄

Last edited:
Somone I have POA for has it written into the extra conditions that they wish to remain in their own home for as long as possible, the home is also now 50% owned by trustee's so if it was ever needed to be sold for care costs that 50% is protected for inheritance reasons. Realistically it has crossed my mind at some point I might need to move in as a carer, perhaps being able to still work part time as I work from home.

My only experience of care homes is 2nd hand, I know of various issues like clothes going missing (despite names been sold into them) and other belongings been used by other residents. They aren't places I'd want to put my loved ones by choice.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
they wish to remain in their own home for as long as possible,

Just out of interest, because my parents have just made me POA, is there a definite point where someone makes a decision? What if they start losing their faculties and insist on staying in their home when they can't manage?

Slick

Guru
Just out of interest, because my parents have just made me POA, is there a definite point where someone makes a decision? What if they start losing their faculties and insist on staying in their home when they can't manage?

That's what a POA is all about, you make the decision based on what you think is best for them.

Mrs M

Guru
Mrs Venod and I are both 71 we have enjoyed a varied musical life, the care home situation scares us to death, both my mum and MIL ended up there the MIL is still there at 99, 100 in October if she makes it, her musical tastes are another world to ours, keep on rocking in the free world.

View attachment 702543

Is that you and Mrs V?

That's what a POA is all about, you make the decision based on what you think is best for them.

It could come to this where I have to make that decision, which is why mentally I'm preparing that I might have to step in as a carer not just a helper as I am now. It'll come down to me knowing they don't want to go into a home, and me being prepared to step up to support that.

As a POA tip start registering the documents with companies now, some can be very quick (especially if they use the online service) and other very slow. Some companies have better facilities than others - BT and Santander have great online services where I just sign in as myself and choose whose account I want to service. Others are a bit backward especially if when you phone you get an agent unfamiliar with the POA procedures.
If I worked in an old folks home I'd take my Bloodhound Gang CDs along on singalong days.

Well they do play in old folks homes occastionally, I think thats a great idea!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iHr0Hytrls

Slick

Guru
It could come to this where I have to make that decision, which is why mentally I'm preparing that I might have to step in as a carer not just a helper as I am now. It'll come down to me knowing they don't want to go into a home, and me being prepared to step up to support that.

As a POA tip start registering the documents with companies now, some can be very quick (especially if they use the online service) and other very slow. Some companies have better facilities than others - BT and Santander have great online services where I just sign in as myself and choose whose account I want to service. Others are a bit backward especially if when you phone you get an agent unfamiliar with the POA procedures.

Well they do play in old folks homes occastionally, I think thats a great idea!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iHr0Hytrls

I was POA for both parents but my sister made it really easy for me by taking a sabbatical twice to care for them both at home until the end. I've never been prouder of her or my brother who stepped up as well, especially as I just wasn't capable to help with that side of things, my input was more financial. Without getting too dramatic, there was quite a cost for my sister to do what she did, and it took years for her to get over it, I certainly wouldn't recommend it to everyone.

Top Bottom