Too old for the care home residents weekly entertainment question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Maz's older brother Mick who is 81 and his wife Sylv who will be 80 in a few days are massive Elvis fans to the point they've been to Graceland twice still listen to 'Rock' music, early AC/DC (Bon Scott singing) Deep Purple, Rush, UFO, Free/Bad Company etc. plus more modern stuff like 'Black Country Communion' (Joe Bonnamassa, Jason Bonham and Glenn Hughes) mind it does help that their son Carl is/was Glenn's manager so they get 'backstage' AAA passes at their gigs.

Luckily neither are in care homes yet.

Slick

Guru
The thought of being trapped in a home with non- stop musicals, Jim Reeves and Elvis scares me.

Let me have a quiet room, sight of a bird feeder, a daily hour sitting in the garden, some good books and I'd be fine.

Keep me away from all those old people, too.

I always remember my old man coming round from a quadruple bypass and when I went to see him, he complained about being stuck in with aw the auld yins. When I looked around, he was the oldest in the room. :laugh:

Venod

Eh up
Mrs Venod and I are both 71 we have enjoyed a varied musical life, the care home situation scares us to death, both my mum and MIL ended up there the MIL is still there at 99, 100 in October if she makes it, her musical tastes are another world to ours, keep on rocking in the free world.

FB_IMG_1691962010714.jpg

Last edited:

Dave7

Legendary Member
Strangely enough, I was a teenager (just) and grew up on Merseyside when the Beatles arrived. Used to listen to Caroline and Radio Luxemborg and all the latest releases throuout my adult life.
That could have been me. Born 1947 and raised in Wallasey.
Strangely I always preferred the Stones to the Beatles.

Drago

Legendary Member
I think I'd be happy if they played a bit of Creedence, just so long as when I Put A Spell On You comes on they turn the volume so I can enjoy that stunning John Fogerty solo.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Being wheeled into a common room with Agadoo playing would not be pleasant. I think if I reach 80 then the only person left (who cares) to visit would be my only son. Hopefully he'd know enough to bring in a bluetooth receiver and a phone so I could choose what i wanted. Depending on my mood it might be Opera/Classical (early Baroque), Country, Death Metal or Miley Cyrus. Choice is the operative word; but if it was a forced music night then I think I'd appreciate some Dire Straights or similar

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've told my family that if anyone tries to put me in the home there'll be a hostage situation and it won't end well.

What happens if you can't move onto a commode, so need lifting to the loo and lifting out of bed every day. And are heavy. It's sad, but for people to be cared for properly, this happens unfortunately. Folk have to pay their mortgages, and you can't give everything up for 24h care of a parent.

That's how MIL ended up in a home, just couldn't move (stopped trying) and there wasn't facilities for a manual lift at home to move her all the time to the loo, or bed.

She didn't join in the sing-a-longs - stayed in her room watching the bird feeders, TV and knitting. Or if she did want to come out, she went to one of the quiet lounges with big windows. She used to call them all 'old' - she was 87 ! She wasn't tolerant of anyone with mental disabilities. Explaining her issues were her body was worn out and not her brain.

I'd need a GCN sub and Amazon Music sub and I'd be fine !

bruce1530

Guru
A friend works in a care home. One day she went into the lounge, there was one "old dear" sitting there on her own.

"Shall I put on on some music?"
"What is there?"

She looked through the box of CDs. Frank Sinatra. Perry Como, Jimmy Shand. Glenn Miller.

"Do you fancy any of that?"

The Old Dear replied: "I remember putting on my white mini skirt and knee high leather boots, and going on my boyfriend's motor bike to see the Stones at the Glasgow Apollo. No, I don't want Perry F***ing Como...."

Top Bottom