Tour of USA

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ludwig

Hopeless romantic
I heard the comentator say that there are plans to replace the Tour of Cal with a bigger tour of USA. The USA is where its all happening, crowds are very big and the top emerging riders are American so it would be brilliant. It would be great dong route 66 or the Alaskan high road through death valley along the nevada desert through the Grand Canyon along the Niagra Falls etc.

Will1985

Über Member
The format has improved a lot since the inception of the idea of a Tour of America, but I still don't think that the cyclists will be huge fans. The logistics and toll of travelling are greatly magnified compared to the Grands Tours, and they probably wouldn't like being subjected to extreme conditions such as Alaska or Death Valley.

Watching the ToC, it is a pretty dreary spectacle which isn't exciting for the TV viewer so why should ToA be any different? America lacks the cultural history which makes many parts of the Tour, Giro or Vuelta routes so special. Furthermore, the attitude of the spectators on yesterday's stage just goes to show how different Europe and America are - it looked far more dangerous with the fans running in front of the riders than it would in a European race.

The guy who dreamt this up also seems to have no idea about cycling and is just in it for the money IMO. He's tried to take the TdF format and transfer it directly...he could at least use his imagination when thinking up colours for the leader jerseys since the grands tours all use different colours (apart from Young Rider in the Tour and Giro).

If it goes ahead it will clash with the Vuelta too...

The way I heard it, they said someone thought about doing a ToA but it was going to be half as long again than the TdF, mostly over dull/boring Kansas and the like roads (al la Quatar). So they are now thinking about extending the ToC to 2 weeks and make this the ToA.

Lets face it when you try and compare the ToC to the likes of the TdF or Giro, its not going to be the same, so some of it was boring to look at, no real history but its a new look and one that I think is willing to look forward rather than keep to the same old format just because its always been done like this.

Sorry Will but what is wrong with making it commercial? the TdF has gone down that route years ago, without bringing money into the sport it WILL die and then you'll be here moaning that there is nothing on. As for shirt colours, pick a colour thats easy to see in the mist of a pack of 120+ riders and is not used in another race, don't think I can think of many, plus the greatest form of flattery is to be copied.

Rock on the ToC, perfect for the early season, and one which I am glad I watched and next year I'll be at the road side cheering them on.

Top Bottom