Trailer or seat ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rob_mcp

Head above parapet - trailer!

Mini-Mc has been in a trailer since he was about 9month, initially with extra packing hand crafted by Mrs Mc. We have taken so much stuff too - including on one trip his push chair and he is now 4.5 and still uses it at times when we are going out of range for his tag along. Plus you will become a trailer convert.

we had a seat but never used it wiht the arrival of the trailer and i never fancied it from the point of view of mounting/dismounting the bike and attaching/detaching mini_mc safely. The trailer is great as he can have toys in it, can snack and sleep with no trouble.

And while I am at it (look out - it is a helmet reference) we don't put a helmet on him in the trailer, all it does is push his head forward and the trailer is its own roll cage and he's strapped in.

go on - you know it makes sense!

Rob

Night Train

Maker of Things
I've used both in my time and would prefer a trailer to a seat everytime. In my experience a kid on a seat tended to chuck herself from side to side just for the hell of it throwing me off balance especially on corners. I didn't like that as it spoilt the ride for me and made it dangerous to the kid if I dropped the bike.

With a trailer you can just ignore the cries of 'Speed up!', 'Slow down!', 'My bum hurts!' from the back and you can dump all your picnic stuff on the kid too. :tongue:

Night Train said:
With a trailer you can just ignore the cries of 'Speed up!', 'Slow down!', 'My bum hurts!' from the back and you can dump all your picnic stuff on the kid too. :rolleyes:

until it learns how to get into the picnic stuff and eat it all ;)

Arch

Married to Night Train
Pushing tin said:
until it learns how to get into the picnic stuff and eat it all :blush:

Hmmm... lockable tupperware, I'll make a fortune....

As someone with no experience whatsoever of riding with a childseat, I'd plump for the trailer too, partly on grounds of it being useful for other stuff too!

papercorn2000

Another vote for trailer. More stable, more room, comfier for PC-ette (usually slept in it) and you could carry loads of stuff like picnics, jackets, cameras etc. in it.
Did the Col D'Izoard and various other Alpy things with it - even saw one on Alpe D'Huez with two kids!

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Trailer - the youngest one (2 1/2) tolerates this very well, my wife has a child seat and he loves that too, but there better for short distances. Great for resistance training!

If you want to try them both pm me, pop round, and have a go with both (and clean the trailer as its filthy) though seriuolsy I got a 2nd hand trailer and saved a fortune.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I must admit that my experiences was based on a 4 year old on a seat being a right sod and a 11 year old in a trailer being a back seat driver. She has Downs and so wasn't able/willing to ride her own bike.

Top Bottom