Travel plans for the northern FNRttC

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mike e

East Coast trains are now only a week away from the advance booking date for this June's northern ride. I would imagine it'll be the end of the week when the price's come online. I shall use this new thread to suggest ideas for transporting London based riders up north by train. Not sure if the van and bus has been planned or booked, no doubt Simon will be busy with this months Martlets ride to Brighton.

www.eastcoast.co.uk

Hull Trains are also booking up to the same dates at the moment.

www.hulltrains.co.uk

There is also Grand Central, not sure on when they book up to but there last train on a Friday night leaves KX at 19:18 and arrives York at 21:18, this might be a little early onless of course you might want a quick whizz round York

www.grandcentralrail.co.uk

Allowing for faffing about, that makes the York oop North arrival about the same as you are arriving dahn Sarf on Friday, non? (Will I have to wear a Rutland County helmet?)

I haven't checked yet for the journey up to York, but for the return journey, having looked at the advance fares currently available for several weeks earlier, it may work out cheaper splitting your ticket and buying Grimsby* to Newark and then Newark to London or a similar combination of destinations up or down the route.

* Grimsby Town Station being only 3 miles from Cleethorpes.

OP
OP
M

mike e

Kings Cross to York with East Coast

18:00 - 19:51
18:19 - 20:20
18:30 - 20:39
19:00 - 21:01
19:18 - 21:15 Great Central
19:30 - 21:21
20:00 - 22:01
20:33 - 22:54 change at Doncaster
21:00 - 23:13

There are also additional Leeds trains every half hour (03 & 33 mins past the hour) calling at Doncaster which is a mere 43 warm up miles from York....:smile: This will appeal to the Davy types who wish to clock up big miles. Beware Davy, northern miles are a lot tougher than southern miles...;)

These are times from the current timetable which changes in May, although there shouldn't be too many differences.

Most of the above trains will carry 6 bikes on each service, although in reality you could fit a lot more in the luggage van. If I have enough time I will try to speak to someone on Saturday at Kings Cross regarding more bikes been allowed as a one off.

You're like a lickle hedgehog mikee - you have come out of hibernation.
Ph34r.gif

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
thanks for this Mike - I've been neglecting this in favour of work (chiz, chiz, chiz) and the Martlets ride.

Bear in mind that this is the weekend of the York Rally. Some of you might want to return to York after the ride.

OP
OP
M

mike e

Hey all, bookings are now been taken up to and including Friday 18th June.

Here's a few I've looked at:-

KX 18:19 - York 20:20 at £25.35
KX 19:30 - York 21:21 at £25.35
KX 20.00 - York 22:01 at £13.00

There are other additional services but at £37.00 & £41.50 for a ticket, all these prices are for a single journey and it is free to take your bike but it has to be booked onto the train. Most of these services carry 6 bikes each.

www.eastcoast.co.uk

There is also a Grand Central service leaving KX at 19:18 arriving into York at 21:18, but I don't think there booking up to the 18th June yet.

www.grandcentralrail.co.uk

Get that credit card out, happy travels....

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Arrgghhh, Mikeeeeee, you've beaten me to it!! Darn you!! hahahahaha!

I think I would get the train up north to manc on the thursday, book into a hotel, do the track session, get on the lash with Mikeeee, (others?) and then cycle (apx 100miles) or train it to Hull for the fnrttc..

Then cycle home over two days with Ally Macb (again, others) who am sure from talking to our northener is cycling back over two days? But its all just a thought...

Top Bottom