Travel plans for the northern FNRttC

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Darn it, I'd have liked to come on the recce ride, but I'll be away.

If it's after pedestrian hours, the easiest way out to the A1079 (you still planning to turn off down the Elvington Road just after the ring road?) would be:

From the West End of the Minster, ride down Low Petergate, past King's Square, into Colliergate, over the slightly offset crossroad (get in the right hand lane) into Foss Gate, over the Foss (noting on your left, the Blue Bicycle restaurant and cursing the cobbled bit at the brow of the bridge), straight into Walmgate, down Walmgate and through the city walls and onto Lawrence Street which becomes Hull Road and the A1079. It's pretty much a straight line.

Petergate is fairly pretty and medieval, although not as medieval as the Shambles - but I don't think you can ride down there at any time of day....

Lawrence Street and Hull Road, though, is not all that pretty and is a main road, although not utterly horrible except at rush hour. Nicer routes would be to head out through Osbaldwick - although I wouldn't necessarily like to use the Foss Islands bike path late at night - or to head through Heslington and the University. Actually, the new Heslington East campus is accessible now, with a lovely smooth cyclepath snaking through it - not done it at night though, but it does have streetlights and avoids using the road which is ok, but narrow and 40. Let me know if you want suggestions along these lines.

If you want any recommendations of hostelries for a pre-ride libation, let me know.

longers

Legendary Member
HelenD123 said:
Dell - there are a few nasty pot holes on the A1079 after the icy winter so keep a beady eye out for them.

Would a few FillthatHole reports in advance from locals in the know be useful for problem areas?

Arch

Married to Night Train
Ah yes, meant to say - in my recent experience the Elvington road surface is lousy - at least it is on the side heading towards York, and I assume the other side is the same. Not huge potholes necessarily, just very bumpy and rattley.

And there's a width restriction in force at the bridge over the Derwent between Elvington and Sutton upon Derwent. Cyclists get through fine, but there are a couple of temporary speed humps in place either side of the bridge to slow cars, and they are steep and nasty, like Toblerones bolted to the road. Best to hit them slowly.

colly

Re member eR
User10119 said:
(Decided I'd better sign up here too, as I'm rather tempted by this!)

Is anyone thinking about heading back to York, by train? I'm hoping to get enough rides in over the next few weeks to be able to contemplate this without being embarassingly slow and inept - you make them sound rather splendid, and it seems logical as a first attmept at a group ride, as I live 10 minutes from the start! But I really don't think that I'd be able for a return by bike :laugh:

:laugh: That's par for the course. You would blend in seamlessly.

colly

Re member eR
I'm hoping to tag along even though the night before is a bash at Manchester Velodrome which I am going to.

I think Andyfromotley is hoping to do both as well.

I have a vague idea of riding to York, doing the ride to Cleethorpes and then crawling back to Leeds in the morning but I am not sure if I have enough miles under my belt yet this year.
Still there's time yet.:laugh:

Aperitif

Meme bar
Arch said:
If you want any recommendations of hostelries for a pre-ride libation, let me know.

Thanks Arch, but I think a few people are going to have a drink instead - conserve energy, like...

Arch

Married to Night Train
ha ha! Be careful, or I'll recommend you the 80's bar and all the places that do deals on Carling and WKD.

earth

I've been to the site for this (http://www.gybr.co.uk/). Am I missing something because I can't find the route written anywhere or any description of the ride at all?

I would have booked already if it were not for that, now the return transport is fully booked.

earth

No matter, found a description buried in the FAQ. Wetherby to Filey. I can ride home from there.

HelenD123

Legendary Member
longers said:
Would a few FillthatHole reports in advance from locals in the know be useful for problem areas?

Good idea. I've filed a report of one of the holes that I can remember and told them a whole stretch of road needs looking at. I think there are street lights along of a lot of the section which should help spot them in the dark.

HelenD123

Legendary Member
earth said:
No matter, found a description buried in the FAQ. Wetherby to Filey. I can ride home from there.

I think you're getting the rides confused. This thread is about a different ride to the one you linked to.

Aperitif

Meme bar
HelenD123 said:
I think you're getting the rides confused. This thread is about a different ride to the one you linked to.

;)
Good post Helen - I was going to ask 'What on Earth? etc' - but thought better of it last night...

longers

Legendary Member
Daft question: If I buy a train ticket and end up not being able to go, then it'd be easy for someone to use the ticket instead of me? Assuming I can find someone who wanted it? They're not refundable are they?

Aperitif

Meme bar
If you buy online Mark, then you'll need to have your card handy for getting the ticket out of the ticket office machines. If you are making a two-way trip - no problem (it would be like you buying two tickets for you and a workmate travelling somewhere etc...you give one away...) If you are thinking of riding in and training out, you will have to pass me your bank card and secret pin number so that I can get a taxi back to Londres after a slap-up feast make sure everything is ok for you! ;)

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Aperitif said:
If you buy online Mark, then you'll need to have your card handy for getting the ticket out of the ticket office machines. If you are making a two-way trip - no problem (it would be like you buying two tickets for you and a workmate travelling somewhere etc...you give one away...) If you are thinking of riding in and training out, you will have to pass me your bank card and secret pin number so that I can get a taxi back to Londres after a slap-up feast make sure everything is ok for you! ;)

You won't necessarily need to do that- buy online from eastcoast.co.uk & they'll send them in the post at no extra charge (I've got mine). With regards to the original question, advance fares aren't refundable, they are changeable for an extra fee.

Top Bottom