Trek bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Pig

dellzeqq said:
Trek (and Ridgeback) support their dealers.

I have a Ridgback (Genesis) bike. I've had a number of issues and problems with it and every single one has been sorted out effectively and efficiently. After this experience there's no way I'd buy a bike mail order and I would certainly buy a Ridgback/Genesis bike again.

Noodley

Mr Pig said:
I have a Ridgback (Genesis) bike. I've had a number of issues and problems with it...

Sounds like it's rubbish then.

Mr Pig

Noodley said:
Sounds like it's rubbish then.

I needed a part replaced on the forks (RockShox) and the disk brakes replaced (Shimano) so it's hard to blame Genesis for those. Seat post kept slipping down, no matter how tightly you clamped it, but they gave me a better post and new clamp which fixed it. I guess you can get the odd problem with any bike but the important thing was that they sorted them out properly.

Imagine that you bought a bike mail order and you had these kind of issues? Could be a real nightmare to sort out.

threefingerjoe

Über Member
The only thing that I don't like about Trek is their use of some "proprietary" parts. With some of these parts, when something wears out, (example: a chainwheel) you have to replace it with THEIR part...which they may not make, anymore, so you end up replacing the entire crank. Same with a hub. Maybe you need a cone. Can't buy that, so you decide to replace the entire hub. Then, you find out that it has an unusual spoke count, so you end up replacing the entire wheel. Other than that, they are fine bikes.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Mr Pig said:
I needed a part replaced on the forks (RockShox) and the disk brakes replaced (Shimano) so it's hard to blame Genesis for those. Seat post kept slipping down, no matter how tightly you clamped it, but they gave me a better post and new clamp which fixed it. I guess you can get the odd problem with any bike but the important thing was that they sorted them out properly.

Imagine that you bought a bike mail order and you had these kind of issues? Could be a real nightmare to sort out.

Quite. Mr. Pig wins 'I support my LBS' stars and risks (manly) kiss on both cheeks when we meet.

Mr Pig

dellzeqq said:
Quite. Mr. Pig wins 'I support my LBS' stars and risks (manly) kiss on both cheeks when we meet.

I tend to drive into Glasgow and buy stuff there, I'm going in for bits today. My local bike shop, the only one in the town if you don't count Halfords, is also a motor factor and a lot of the parts they stock and just cheap crap! Where I live most people think that £200 is a lot to spend on a bike and most spend a lot less! It would be nice to have a good local shop but there's zero demand for one.

Top Bottom