Trouble at brewery

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User169

Got an e-mail today about one of my fave breweries, the inestimable 3 fonteinen (near Brussels) purveyor of fine geuze and kriek. Apparently, a thermostat blew in one of their packing sheds and 100,000 bottles (50k litres) were heated to 50oC for 36 hours, effectively trashing the contents.

Apparently though the beer can be distilled to gin, the only problem now being the removal of caps from 100,00 bottles - these bottles have champage-type caps with wood cork and metal cage.

On Saturday, volunteers are asked to go to the brewery to help with manual removal of the caps - reckon I might just go along to lend a hand in the hope of claiming a liquid reward.

They've already had one go at emptying the bottles - see attached.

http://www.editiepajot.com/regios/3/articles/7380

Keith Oates

Janner
Is that what they mean by a "labour of love"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
U

User169

Keith Oates said:
Is that what they mean by a "labour of love"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In my case Keith, a definite yes!

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
User1314 said:
When you say the "contents have been trashed", does that mean they are completely undrinkable or just not suitable for sale?

If the latter, I'll happily take them off their hands free of charge. If they cover the cost of postage.

Be worth a weekend there if was free Belgian beer - hic!!

OP
OP
U

User169

Headgardener said:
Seems that it is being poured down the drain (what a waste) according to the one picture. I would quite happily help to consume some of the spoiled beer if it wasn't to bad:cheers:.

Just to clarify, it is not being poured away - they are collecting it and then will distill it to jenever (Belgian/Dutch gin).

The reason they aren't going to sell it as beer is that they can't guarantee it will be OK after the heat treatment it's been subjected too.

OP
OP
U

User169

Uncle Mort said:
It makes me swell up with pride that the human race - often maligned as callous and cold-hearted - can come up with the goods when required. Those brave volunteers bring a tear to my eye.

I saw them on the Ring TV news, staggering out of the brewery, clearly exhausted by their task.

Thank you.

Most excellent!

Just got to work out how to get there; looks like I'll have to get the train at 4:30 am which should get me to Brussel Noord at 7:30 am and then a taxi to Halle.

Top Bottom