Twitter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Carwash

Señor Member
Noodley said:
Can someone explain what Twitter is and what is does? :rolleyes:
It's a microblogging site which allows users to follow the doings of other users if they so choose.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
It is a way of posting information to the web

you are limited to 140 characters. People write about what they are doing (usually boring), post links, all sorts.

I actually find it really useful (zimzum42 by the way!)
If you are smart with who you follow (whose 'tweets' you receive updates of) then you can get some really useful information out of it. Has been quite interesting following Lance during the giro, and there are loads of people who tweet about stuff I'm interested in and supply me with good links. Much quicker than checking all their individual blogs...

Yeah, there's a load of dross out there, but if you can cut through that there are some real gems in there too, it's like a microcosm of the web...

Twitter is a cut-down blogging facility. If you are going to use it, may as well learn some of the vernacular -

Birdies - things that Twitter

Peck - when a Birdie selects messages randomly

Seed Feeder - this is a place where messages called Tweets (the sweets that melt in your mouth, not in your hand) wait for Birdies to come along and Peck them

Worm - a hidden message

Hedge - a place where messages sometimes get caught up, lost or delayed (as in: "That Birdie must have got his Tweet stuck in a Hedge while looking for Worms. He should have Pecked at the Seed Feeder instead".)

OP
OP
Noodley

Noodley

I found my sister-in-law. And that's about it really. And she does not do much by the looks of it.

yenrod

Noodley said:
Can someone explain what Twitter is and what is does? xx(

Basically, Noods - you post updates to your profile like this:-

Just been for a S%%t;

Making a Cup of Tea...

Going out for a walk...

I think you'll get the gist...

:laugh:

Carwash

Señor Member
yenrod said:
Basically, Noods - you post updates to your profile like this:-

Just been for a S%%t;

Making a Cup of Tea...

Going out for a walk...

I think you'll get the gist...

:laugh:

Are those the high points of your day, Yenners?

yenrod

Carwash said:
Are those the high points of your day, Yenners?

What do you think :laugh:

Aint been for a walk yet...

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
When first introduced to Twitter back in April / May 2007 by fellow podcasters, I really couldn't see the point of it at all. It's taken time but I'm now a complete convert.

As others have said, if you're selective in who you follow then you'll get much more out of it - those people will likely be talking about things that interest you.

I'd recommend you follow our very own John_The_Monkey for starters as he Twitters cycling info & links.

For fun & amusement, try following DavidSchneider - his tweets are little comic gems.

And there's always me, threefromleith !!

ChrisKH

Guru
But isn't this just for people with nothing better to do (like me on here :laugh:). Like Facebook, it must just swallow up your time, when you could be out there, erm, living the dream. Same with texting.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
ChrisKH said:
But isn't this just for people with nothing better to do (like me on here :o). Like Facebook, it must just swallow up your time, when you could be out there, erm, living the dream. Same with texting.

Doesn't take more than a few secs to fire off a quick tweet.

Top Bottom