University Towns

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

montage

God Almighty
Hmmm I'll take a better look at Cardiff on the open day - but sounds as if it meets all the requirements. Doesn't a nearby Uni have a velodrome aswell?
Cheers for the heads up on Cardiff Uni.

Hope your daughter chooses the right uni and does well with the acting career - going to this Cardiff open day? (27th of April I think..)

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
dellzeqq said:
it will allow her an income when she's resting.....(she wants to be an actress, and may well succeed)

Each to their own. Not sure I see the point myself, an accountancy degree seems a waste of 3 years to me. York does actually do it in the Management Department but having known a few people in that department I think it wasn't pure accountancy at all. York does have a medical school now.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
montage said:
Liverpool sounds like a great uni....but for cycling? hmmmm.

I grew up there, pretty near the centre. Used to take 45-60mins riding to get into areas that might be described as rural. A better bet was to hop on the train to Chester and hit the Cheshire Plains.

HelenD123

Guru
montage;652916 Doesn't a nearby Uni have a velodrome aswell? [/quote said:
There's a cycle track at Maindy, half way between the University and the main halls of residence. I wasn't into cycling when I was there so I don't know what other facilities there are.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
It depends what you mean by accountancy Montage. Day to day accountancy in small firms doesn't have much in common with Financial Mathematics applied that caused a lot of this mess.

U

User482

Accountancy degrees only allow you to skip a couple of modules if you want to become chartered, so I fail to see the point in them too.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
User482 said:
Accountancy degrees only allow you to skip a couple of modules if you want to become chartered, so I fail to see the point in them too.

fair enough. Looks like the geriatric nursing then...

I spent three years at UEA in Norwich, and have been back to the city three times in the 10 years since I graduated.

The city has a lot to offer and seems to get better! :smile:

The locals, though, on the other hand . . . ! :tongue:

Mr Pig

Pushing tin said:
are you referring to mortgage payments or council tax?

Mostly the cost of houses but to be honest I just don't like cities. I would say though that either go big or small. Villages can be nice places to live but nondiscript large town are often soulless.

For what it's worth, I think the best university town is St Andrews.

barq

Most of my school friends went to London universities. I avoided them because London is so expensive. Instead I went to Aston Uni in Birmingham. It has a surprisingly green campus given that it is ten minutes walk from New Street Station. Over the other side of town is Birmingham Uni which has a nice big campus. It isn't in the city centre but the surrounding area (Selly Oak) has good facilities. I liked Birmingham very much and was actually very sad to leave.

Then I ended up at the University of Surrey. Again it is a campus university (nice grounds, surprisingly ugly buildings) a short distance from Guildford town centre. Guildford is basically nice but very expensive.

Lurker

A long time ago when I studied there, but Leicester was a great place to be a student. Really good market, city centre easily walkable from the uni, lovely English countryside all around, some v cheap Indian restaurants. Did miss the sea though.

I liked the look of Nottingham on a recent visit, maybe worth considering too?

yoyo

Our two sons went/ are at St. Andrew's and our daughter went to York. All read History. IMO the courses are superior at St. Andrew's but the rents and cost of living are very high there. It is a beautiful place to study and the social life is very good. York campus is very ugly and soul-less but the city is lovely, steeped in a long history, with an excellent cultural life and I believe the night clubs were good too! Rents here were much cheaper, although the shop on campus when our daughter was in halls was ridiculously expensive and they were a long way from the usual supermarkets. Cycling is great in York and our daughter seldom used buses.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
if people had their time again, would they, in a general kind of way, go to a smallish town (Norwich, York, St. Andrews) or a big city? Does it depend on where you're coming from?

Top Bottom