University Towns

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
The Ultimate university town has to be Edinburgh, we have four universities to choose from, so all the courses you are looking at are covered. The place is cycle friendly, vibrant social and cultural life, and fantastic countryside on the doorstep, what more could you ask for?

montage

God Almighty
Hairy Jock said:
The Ultimate university town has to be Edinburgh, we have four universities to choose from, so all the courses you are looking at are covered. The place is cycle friendly, vibrant social and cultural life, and fantastic countryside on the doorstep, what more could you ask for?

I was put in A&E when I was in Edinburgh.
Gave a nice impression :tongue:

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Newcastle is generally rated in most surveys as being the top town in which to be a student. It has all the advantages of being small like York, but it actually has some big city-ness too, and a vibrancy that is lacking in some more sedate towns. For cyclists, it also has the advantage of being very good to get out of and once you do get out you have England's least populated county, and the fabulous Northumbrian coast to boot. It is very easy to find places to live in town, and if you want to live further out it is far more convenient to live anywhere out on the edge of the Durham Dales or Northumbria or indeed on the coast in North or South Shields or Tynemouth. Really, places like Manchester, Leeds and Liverpool just don't compare... sorry, guys you might have better football teams (well, except Leeds!) but I've spent plenty of time in all of them, and things generally get worse the further west you go up north... Leeds also has the most horribly yuppified dead city centre I have ever been too, full of permatanned self-gratification artists in BMWs, although it has some interesting areas. Sheffield is alright too, and you can get out fairly easily. Glasgow is somewhere I like too but it sprawls badly and is not a nice place to ride a bike in.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
yoyo said:
Our two sons went/ are at St. Andrew's and our daughter went to York. All read History. IMO the courses are superior at St. Andrew's but the rents and cost of living are very high there. It is a beautiful place to study and the social life is very good. York campus is very ugly and soul-less but the city is lovely, steeped in a long history, with an excellent cultural life and I believe the night clubs were good too! Rents here were much cheaper, although the shop on campus when our daughter was in halls was ridiculously expensive and they were a long way from the usual supermarkets. Cycling is great in York and our daughter seldom used buses.

I disagree. York's supermarkets are situated very generously close and very large for a city its size, it's just that some students are bone idle lazy. Costcutter was certainly extremely expensive and a joke of a shop. In late 2007 a large Morrisons has opened in the south east quarter of the city making it the closest supermarket to campus and solving the supermarket "problem" you outline. As for course comparison, History at York has been in for very harsh criticism in the past as being far too little work and teaching contact hours.

As for cycling I'll be the only person here to say cycling in York is very bad. The driving standard is very poor, the local poplace are very anticycling, being a student you have the evil FTR that makes cycling dangerous on the university routes and the town centre is a complete nightmare best avoided with billions of tourists and drunks from Hen parties roaming the streets. The Vale of York though is fantastic for cycling.

Dave5N

Über Member
barq said:
Most of my school friends went to London universities. I avoided them because London is so expensive. Instead I went to Aston Uni in Birmingham. It has a surprisingly green campus given that it is ten minutes walk from New Street Station. Over the other side of town is Birmingham Uni which has a nice big campus. It isn't in the city centre but the surrounding area (Selly Oak) has good facilities. I liked Birmingham very much and was actually very sad to leave.

Then I ended up at the University of Surrey. Again it is a campus university (nice grounds, surprisingly ugly buildings) a short distance from Guildford town centre. Guildford is basically nice but very expensive.

Did you? 'Kin 'ell do we know each other?:tongue:

MajorMantra

Hairy Jock said:

Apart from better roads and fewer headwinds, not much. Edinburgh is pretty darned good. Oh, and don't forget the big hill. We have a really nice, big hill.:tongue:

Matthew

Haitch

Flim Flormally
I'd give a thumbs up for Newcastle, too. Socially, it's got everything you could want, small but vibrant city centre, everything in walking distance, fantastic and varied countryside (moors, sea, Lake District not too far away), mainline rail connections, etc and so on.

Arch

Married to Night Train
marinyork said:
As for cycling I'll be the only person here to say cycling in York is very bad. The driving standard is very poor, the local poplace are very anticycling, being a student you have the evil FTR that makes cycling dangerous on the university routes and the town centre is a complete nightmare best avoided with billions of tourists and drunks from Hen parties roaming the streets. The Vale of York though is fantastic for cycling.

Eh? Are you talking about the same city?

Driving standard is no worse than anywhere else I've cycled, and since a lot of people also cycle, they tend to drive around cyclists better.

Lots of people cycle. Therefore the populace is not very anticycling. Maybe, of course, I just know a lot of people who cycle - I work for a magazine based here, and have also worked for two separate organisations who promote cycling. I think, pretty much everyone I know cycles, either occasionally, or all the time. I often see 6 or 7 bikes in an ASL at a time at rush hour, a number I think many cities rarely see.

Yes, the FTR is stupid. It's stupid because it's long and bendy, and for all the reasons long bendy buses are hopeless in British cities. I just keep my distance from them, and prevent them form passing in narrow spots (or, get out of their way). By and large the bus drivers are no worse than elsewhere, and often better.

Yes, the city centre is crowded. Most of it is pedestrianised anyway during the day. Diddums, you have to walk some places. Otherwise, it's just a case of cycling appropriately. A little patience (which is all we ask from motorists, after all), some decent anticipation and some give and take is all you need.

Obviously,York isn't the Netherlands or any of the European havens for cycling. But it's certainly not bad at all, and if that's what you think, I guess your riding style must be a bit more aggressive and self important than mine.

montage

God Almighty
marinyork said:
There are tuition fees, the scottish were just devious enough to call them something else.

Scottish get Uni's cheaper if they go in Scotland, no matter what their fee's are called.

But I had a scottish friend who missed out on this because he had stayed in London for two years, and the Scottish have to have lived in Scotland three years prior to joining Uni, so he had to pay full fees while all his friends were laughing at the cheap uni life

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
MajorMantra said:
Apart from better roads and fewer headwinds, not much. Edinburgh is pretty darned good. Oh, and don't forget the big hill. We have a really nice, big hill.:blush:

Matthew

The big hill is great for cycling round on Sundays when they close the road to cars:biggrin:

MajorMantra

montage said:
If you are scottish.

...Or an EU student, which is what I'm classed as having come from Luxembourg, although I am actually a British citizen.

Hairy Jock said:
The big hill is great for cycling round on Sundays when they close the road to cars:biggrin:

Yep. In fact I did the lap of the park just yesterday, on a geared bike for the first time (I'd done it fixed a few times before). Still somewhat painful...

Matthew

MajorMantra said:
...Or an EU student, which is what I'm classed as having come from Luxembourg, although I am actually a British citizen.

Matthew

Really???? I might just have to do another degree in that case!!! (I managed to finish mine just before tuition fees came in)

Top Bottom