Up and Coming British Riders

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
...and today he wrapped up the whole thing. Good going!

raindog

er.....
Blimey, it was touch and go though

At the 5km to go point, just as the two remaining escapees were about to be swept up by the bunch, race leader Adam Blythe punctured and his overall victory, which had seemed a formality, was now in serious doubt. Fortunately for the Briton, he was able to get back on to the pack thanks to the heroic aid of his teammate Olivier Kaisen and save his overall lead

oldroadman

Veteran
There are so many good kids coming through, whether they use the system route or not, talent will show. They know it can be done because they see it - inspirational. We seem to have turned a corner where it's not actually exceptional to be the best any more, but almost expected. As is the level of sheer hard work and dedication accepted as needed to reach full potential. This is simply the best time in the sport for GB in the last 50 years, long may it continue.

OP
OP
Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I'm bumping this old thread because of seeing young Josh Edmondson riding a storm on the climbs for Sky - where did he suddenly spring from?

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I'm bumping this old thread because of seeing young Josh Edmondson riding a storm on the climbs for Sky - where did he suddenly spring from?
He rode very strongly in the ToB last autumn in the GB team jersey and was signed up by Sky. He all but matched Sammy Sanchez in a few of the stages.

oldroadman

Veteran
He is a very handy rider, possibly may not be a superstar pro, but an excellent team rider, and who knows, he may blossom in the top level environment. There have been cases where decent amateurs have found the style and tempo of pro racing suited them better than the more frantic stuff which often happens with the amateurs, and settled to be real quality performers. Anyway the guy did a good ToB, got noticed, and fair play to Sky, has been given his chance to show what he can do at top level. Good luck to him.

The Couch

Über Member
Not to be a spoiler here, but I actually feel that France has perhaps the best load of upcoming riders.

It started 2 years ago with Rolland (in the TdF), then Demare sprinted him in the picture, then Bouhanni did the same, then Pinot had a fantastic TdF and now Kenny Ellissonde has also shown some climbing potential.
Of course I don't claim that all of them will actually become dominant (in their specialty), however all of them show big potential.

Then again, I do believe that their is much more British talent than there is to be seen for some of the other "established" countries...

I haven't really seen any big Spanish talent in the last years, it's really the "old guys" that are around (Valverde, Purito, Sanchez LL & S, Contador).

The Italians are in a slightly better position: Moser, Guardini and Capecchi come to mind, but still I'm not that impressed.

And I am hoping we can find some other young talent in Belgium besides Sep Vanmarcke :smile:

Top Bottom