Upgrades for a Giant Defy 5

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
The biggest easy to achieve improvements will come from a change of wheels and tyres, the cost of making any significant improvements to the rest of the components may be better saved and put towards a new bike.

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Thanks for the input . I have already changed the tyres to continental gatorskin for puncture protection . Should I be looking at another tyre for my weekend use or are these tyres good ?
My normal use of the bike is to go to the allotment so the puncture protection is needed and bike shoes probably not the best kit for going in to feed the chickens ! The pedals seem easy enough to change over so I may get the DMR v8s recommended for the week and then when the cash is spare buy some clipless for the longer rides .
I know I shouldn't really be going to the allotment on the bike but I cant wait to take it out as soon as I wake up and as soon as I finish work .^_^

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
About a month now so no . The bike is fine and I love it , its a new toy so chucking a few quid at it is fun . Just little things for now until I know what I want . Making a spec for hand made wheels is a bit beyond me ^_^

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Clipless pedals now fitted . I bought SPD-SL R540 and a pair of Shimano dynalast shoes in a fetching shiney black . I was dying to try them out last night but Id had a couple of pints and have never riden a bike clipless before so thought better of it :stop: Im still not sure if this is a very good idea :laugh:

vickster

Legendary Member
Have them on loosest setting, practice in living room, then quiet roads. SPD-sl do not try to walk, especially shiny surfaces! You'll break your neck or at the least wear the cleats out!

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Ive already met the cross bar :ohmy:
Im impressed with them already ! I couldn't believe how fast I got up to cruising speed and even that was a couple of mph over what I normally do . They also shaved 1min 12 secs off my 3 mile trip to feed the chickens . Im looking forward to going on a longer ride with them .

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Hmmmm they are starting to hurt my feet a bit . Maybe its best not to go for a long ride in them until they are broken in . Or go for a long ride and break them in but have hurty feet tonight :unsure:

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
They also shaved 1min 12 secs off my 3 mile trip to feed the chickens . Im looking forward to going on a longer ride with them .

What with the chickens :scratch:

Kies

I have bought some ergo (flat sections to place hands) dropped bars for my Defy 1. Will advise if they improve my times ;)
The Giant bars will go on the Triban or possibly cut them to make bull horns for the Sirrus ????

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Regarding wheels . What should I be looking for in a set of these ? I guess round ones would be a good idea ^_^
I weigh about 9 stone and want them for speed . I do ride on the bad roads around here but can be careful .
What would you spec for some sexy wheels ?

Top Bottom