Used my face as a crumple zone!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slug56

Hi all :smile:

Had a bit of an accident about 4 months ago now. I like looking at grizzly photos and I'm sure I'm not the only one, so I thought I'd share.

I was descending a fairly steep hill with a stone bridge at the bottom crossing over a river. I hit some gravel on the way down and that was it. My last thought before the impact was "this is going to hurt". I went over the handlebars and my face almost exclusively took the impact on the stone wall. My immediate after thoughts were "ouch, that hurt", "Is my bike okay?" and "I wonder if I can carry on with my ride?". No concussion and didn't knock myself out which meant yes I had to endure the pain, but also that I hadn't likely caused any brain damage.

a-and-e.jpg

To try and cut it short, the paramedics said I'd definitely broken my nose, and I thought I'd knocked my front teeth back because I couldn't clamp my molars together any more - the front ones kept getting in the way (no overbite). It turns out I'd fractured my skull in a line above my top teeth, so my teeth were for all intents and purposes floating without being attached to anything, urgh!

swelling.jpg

In total I had 5 skull fractures, broke my nose and fractured my palate. A 6.5 hour surgery later and I now have 7 metal plates in my face. Practically back to normal now. I have a small scar across the bridge of my nose and you can't see anything else as they went in through my gum for the lower half of my face and my inner eyelids for the top half. Apart from a bit of scar tissue in my lip (annoying) and some sensitivity in my front teeth, all is good.

SkullHighlighted.jpg

And now you can just see the scar on the bridge of my nose:
better.jpg

So... pretty lucky to still be here and to have made a full recovery!

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Glad you made a full recovery.

ScotiaLass

Guru
Ouchie!
Looks like you had a great team working on you!

Top Bottom