Vehicular Cycling Reality

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
middleagecyclist

middleagecyclist

Call me MAC
...we need to sort the routes within our towns and cities. I believe the best way to do this is to simply accept we have a superb road network, perfectly safe to cycle on which is only made unpleasant by the speed and volume of the motor vehicles. The roads are not the problem. The way people drive is
I agree. The roads can be unpleasant and I would suggest also very scary for some because we share the roads with traffic as we are entitled to do. The halfway house UK cycle infrastructure also makes it far worse IMO. On the whole I would get rid of the painted lip service we have (use it or not it's there). I would also lower speed limits in some areas and enforce them, restrict HGVs to certain times and routes, encourage shared space schemes like Exhibition Road, identify potential cycle contraflows (where safe) to increase permeability, utilize cyclist 'green phase' lights at some traffic lights and have certain junctions redesigned. All this would then go a long way to increasing cycle numbers I think. The snowball would grow...

Linford

Another thing to throw into the mix. When people are properly trained to operate in a hostile environment, they can cope much better with what it throws at them. You would not dream of letting a total novice loose at the controls of a HGV, supercar, or 180mph motorbike where they could easily put themselves in harms way, but people can jump on a cycle, learn to balance it, and then mix it up with all the traffic. I probably learned the most valuable lessons when using the road when I did my cycling proficiency training, and have been applying them regularly with all the other vehicle types ever since. I feel there is a very strong case for a minimum standard. I would rather see 5 million competent cyclists all using the roads with a demonstratable degree of ability, and confidence, than 10 million using the roads with half of them cacking conkers every time a car overtakes them.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Another thing to throw into the mix. When people are properly trained to operate in a hostile environment, they can cope much better with what it throws at them. You would not dream of letting a total novice loose at the controls of a HGV, supercar, or 180mph motorbike where they could easily put themselves in harms way, but people can jump on a cycle, learn to balance it, and then mix it up with all the traffic. I probably learned the most valuable lessons when using the road when I did my cycling proficiency training, and have been applying them regularly with all the other vehicle types ever since. I feel there is a very strong case for a minimum standard. I would rather see 5 million competent cyclists all using the roads with a demonstratable degree of ability, and confidence, than 10 million using the roads with half of them cacking conkers every time a car overtakes them.

Do you also insist on a pedestrian proficiency test?

OP
OP
middleagecyclist

middleagecyclist

Call me MAC
Careful what you wish for there. Cycle training sure, but lets not make that a compulsion. Next you'll be wanting obligatory helmets, insurance, 'Road Tax', cycle MOTs and VRNs! (i'm joking of course).

snorri

Legendary Member
But the reality is that before we sort the trunk routes, and honestly who but the fit and furious will be using trunk routes on a bike, we need to sort the routes within our towns and cities.
Well, that may be the world from your viewpoint. Trunk roads make the most practical routes between my local communities being direct and level, towns and cities are no problem.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Well, that may be the world from your viewpoint. Trunk roads make the most practical routes between my local communities being direct and level, towns and cities are no problem.
You've evolved past us in the SE of England outside the M25 then. Which is great. You're on to the next level. We aren't.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Well, you could knock me over with a feather and colour me pink! I'll happily take that, with or without compulsion, as restricting the right to the cycle on the highway has never been my intent. Thank you Greg.

(the packing is almost done).
I agree. The roads can be unpleasant and I would suggest also very scary for some because we share the roads with traffic as we are entitled to do. The halfway house UK cycle infrastructure also makes it far worse IMO. On the whole I would get rid of the painted lip service we have (use it or not it's there). I would also lower speed limits in some areas and enforce them, restrict HGVs to certain times and routes, encourage shared space schemes like Exhibition Road, identify potential cycle contraflows (where safe) to increase permeability, utilize cyclist 'green phase' lights at some traffic lights and have certain junctions redesigned. All this would then go a long way to increasing cycle numbers I think. The snowball would grow...
Told you we agreed on more than we disagreed on....:thumbsup:

Linford

Careful what you wish for there. Cycle training sure, but lets not make that a compulsion. Next you'll be wanting obligatory helmets, insurance, 'Road Tax', cycle MOTs and VRNs! (i'm joking of course).

Helmets - for children under the age of 14 yes (in the same way which horseriders are required by law also). For older than this, then if you want to spend the rest of your days eating your dinner through a straw, you can make a choice and live with it.
Insurance - well it makes a lot of sense to cover your own liabilities to avoid someone taking the shirt off your back in the event you cause an incident - It is a statuatory requirement of all other vehicle users at the end of the day :whistle:
Road tax - based on the way things are currently done with cars, buses and motorcyles (which is arse about face and totally irrelevant in the grand scheme - yes and no (if a license is required to use the highways, then all who are beneficiaries of it should have to contrubute to its upkeep.
Cycle - MOT, no, but powers should be in place to ensure that all bikes have at least one functional brake - far too many kids riding BMX bikes around my way with only their shoe leather to slow them down (bloody stupid of their parents to let them out on them IMO)
VRNs's - I wouldn't bitch if the compulsion was brought in as long as it was not ridiculously expensive - it might help to cut down on cycle theft and reselling stolen ones (a proper sore point for me sorry)

You did ask sorry ^_^ ;)

I wouldn't be so sure on that one! I've been told to "get in the f**king cycle lane*" when in middle of the road marked for a right hand turn.
Well quite- there's always one! But I imagine/ hope the exception rather than the rule.

The exception - well, just a pretty common or garden exception. A bit like the slug - everywhere and always causing damage/trouble.

What made me get a camera? The "idiots" in a green Astra who insisted I "get in the f**king cycle lane ... that's what the f**king council f**king painted the f**king double f**king yellow f**king lines for."

[Editor's note - there may have been more monosyllabic f**king grunts in the conversation]

Cubist

Still wavin'
Cycle - MOT, no, but powers should be in place to ensure that all bikes have at least one functional brake - far too many kids riding BMX bikes around my way with only their shoe leather to slow them down (bloody stupid of their parents to let them out on them IMO)

You did ask sorry ^_^ ;)

There are already laws in place and powers to enforce tehm
A constable in uniform has the power to test and inspect your bike to see if your brakes comply with the rules. The inspection can be carried out on a road, or on other premises if the bike has been involved in an accident (so long as the inspection is carried out within 48 hours of the accident, and the owner of the premises consents). (PCCUR r. 11)
As I’ve said before, if you’re cycling on the road, a constable in uniform can require you to stop. If you refuse to stop when he demands, you’ll commit an offence and can be given a fixed penalty notice. If you do stop, but refuse to cooperate with a bike inspection, there would seem to be a good chance of some kind of offence of obstruction. (RTA s. 163(2), (3); RTOA ss. 51, 52,54, Sch 3)
Quoted from
UKcylerules.com

snailracer

Über Member
What would be cheaper would be to deploy lots of autonomous cycling robots, so drivers get lots of practice dealing with bicycles on the road.

OP
OP
middleagecyclist

middleagecyclist

Call me MAC
Packing done. Flying soon. Au Revour and happy pedalling everyone.

light-trails-rear.jpg