Walking the dog

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
We have a bloke in our MTB club who brings his terrier, Alfie on rides. When we hit tarmac Neil just reches down, grabs Alfie by the scruff of his neck and hefts him up ino the crook of his arm, then rides one-handed. As soon as we hit offroad again he just drops Alfie, whose little legs are already going before he hits the ground. I once rode behind him and recorded him at 12.5 mph on the flat, he kept that up for a good mile. He's fit. He has done all the big rides with no problem.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
longers said:
Try using Tinypic, browse your computer for the pic you want, use the re-size button to set it to "message board" or 15" screen size, click on "upload now", it'll then give you a link after a couple of minutes.

Copy that link directly into your reply and it should work.
Thanks Longers - I'll try that (later...I'm at work).

Amanda P

Legendary Member
My work involves a fair amount of driving along farm tracks and across fields. My dogs have all enjoyed running alongside. They've been bright enough not to get run over (although I know one farmer who's run over two of his dogs; they were both labradors - no sense at all), and they just jump back in the truck when I whistle out of the window.

Present dog can cruise at about 20 mph for five minutes or so, but then has to slow down. When he gets a rabbit in his sights, he can peak at about 30 mph. His predecessor could cruise comfortably at 25, and I once clocked him touching 40 after a hare. (The hare was easily doing 45, and was a lot more manouvreable - no contest).

I would add, though, that my dogs all walk to "heel" if told to, regardless of whether they're heeling to me on foot, on a bike, or in a truck. This means that if I meet traffic (horses, tractors), I can call the dog to heel and release him when we're past the danger.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
You need to get a pic that's 80 pixels x 80, which probably means using some kind of imaging software. I use something called Paint Shop Pro, but there are quite a few others. (Do a bit of homework & then checkout ebay - you can find unused/unregistered CD's - all totally legit - of 'previous versions' for pennies. I think I paid 99p for my copy of PSP 9.0 - version 10 costs getting on for £100, I believe.)

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
swee said:
If this works it's thanks to Longers.

14tnepi.jpg

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Uncle Phil said:
he can peak at about 30 mph. His predecessor could cruise comfortably at 25, and I once clocked him touching 40

I bloody knew there was a reason to go from 10 to 30 mph in a 42 x 19 on Birtles Hill (in Cheshire) on a club run many moons ago - my mate chickened out....... turned round and fled down the hill......

A mad Alsation chased us...... never pedalled so fast in my bloody life - no time to change gears.....:biggrin: - arse on fire rpm !! :angry::evil:

Top Bottom