was it the bonk or dehydration?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Did the New Forest Rattler with a couple of mates from work yesterday. Got to 62 miles and could feel my legs really tighten up so told the guy i was riding with to go on. By 66 miles i had to get off the bike (which actually meant drawing up to the side of the road and half falling and half rolling off the bike). The next few minutes were spent with me thrashing around in agony with both thighs (quads and hams) and my right calf muscle in spasm.

After a few mins i managed to get up and walk around slowly and became rather alarmed that my heart rate wouldn't come down below 150. I was wearing a HRM. I tend to average 160+ bpm normally during excercise so i know my heart rate is fairly high but it normally reduces quickly when i stop.

up to this point in the ride i had drunk 3 litres of fluid 1.5 of which was SIS go, 750mls sis electrolite and 750mls water. i had eaten a couple of bananas, six pieces of flapjack and my breakfast 2 weekabix and some shreddies. I'd also consumed 3 gels.

I managed another mile and half back on the bike until the next hill. I got half way up and then had to get off before i fell off with cramp and went through another few mins of thrashing about on the ground and then managed to walk the bike to the top of the hill. I was desperately thirsty and knew that there would be an ice cream van just past Fritham that i could get water from. 1.5 litres of water for £2.40 (best £2.40 i've ever spent). the first 750mls went down quickly and the rest over the next half an hour. managed to then ride the next 7 miles back to the start.

my question is; was this just dehydration or did i bonk? if i'd drunk more would i have made the course with out the cramps?

really frustrated that i didn't complete the course as laid out but still did 76.5miles in a day, my longest yet!

I'd be grateful for some of your wisdom.

Windy

lukesdad

Not being rude but how old are you, and what height and weight? how fit are you, and od you have any medical conditions, 160 is extrordinatly high rate for normal exercise I d put these questins to your GP.

I'm 42 5'11" and 86kg. my HR has always been high when exercising. As part of my job I'm required to have an annual medical with an ecg every 2nd or 3rd year so any oddities should be picked up there.

the 220 minus your age as your max HR has always been way off for me. I have run on and off from the age of 16 to about 33 and took up cycling 3 years ago. when i first started running with a HRM I did a stress test on a local hill and measured my max at 202 bpm i think.

i've only just started to use HRM on my bike again and have pushed on some hills and got a max of 195 but that wasn't a stress test like i did before. I've recently had a virus that i couldn't shift for weeks that left me feeling really run down. this could also be a contributing factor to the high HR yesterday.

my annual medical is due in sept so i'll get checked out again very soon.

Windy

gbb

Legendary Member
My interpretation of the bonk would be extreme fatigue, almost sick, to the point where you just want to get off the bike and lay down. Happened to me twice, each time i spent the remainder of the day feeling like i'd been hit by a train. Heart rate took some hours to come down again. A bit like flu symptoms. I didnt have cramps or spasms.

lukesdad

It wasnt the bonk and Im sure its not de-hydration. Sometimes eating or drinking too much too quickly can give you stomach cramps, but htis sounds more muscular to me as if you just ddnt have it in your legs. Did you stretch and warm up enough before you started the event.Did you start off at to higher pace.

I've just looked back through my log from 2007 where i used the HRM for a few months. I started with an average HR of 159 in late winter and this came down to mid 140's by the june for similar routes but better speed. on reflection i think that i'm still not right from the virus in order to be running average HR's of over 160.

my question still stands though about the hydration and whether if i'd drunk more up to the point i first started to feel the onset of tight muscles at 62 miles i might have made it with out the full cramping of both legs. We did go off at a fair old lick, we averaging 16.7mph up to 62 miles.

lukesdad

The answer to your question is no. If you didnt warm up and stretch I think youve found the answer to your problem you went out too hard too soon. when racing I all ways warm up for 20mins at 60 - 65% of MHR even for mtb marathons but id still get to the bottom of this 160 hr.

yenrod

lukesdad said:
The answer to your question is no. If you didnt warm up and stretch I think youve found the answer to your problem you went out too hard too soon. when racing I all ways warm up for 20mins at 60 - 65% of MHR even for mtb marathons but id still get to the bottom of this 160 hr.

Luke - I dont think this 160 HR is the bottom factor sotospeak.

I feel its just general fatigue..+..hydration & energy AND the processing of IT - like, Windy, whats your exercise periods/workouts like in the week..what do you do :biggrin:

I feel the HR issue isnt an issue..in all health matters you cannot see every prob. as a near lifeanddeath..situ. to be slightly farsical.

Just add up the recent weeks and I feel you have the answer - Windy/Rob.

You may also have had an off-day for that day...

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Old age Rob :laugh::biggrin:

lukesdad

yenrod said:
Luke - I dont think this 160 HR is the bottom factor sotospeak.

I feel its just general fatigue..+..hydration & energy AND the processing of IT - like, Windy, whats your exercise periods/workouts like in the week..what do you do :biggrin:

I feel the HR issue isnt an issue..in all health matters you cannot see every prob. as a near lifeanddeath..situ. to be slightly farsical.

Just add up the recent weeks and I feel you have the answer - Windy/Rob.

You may also have had an off-day for that day...

I agree that fatigue could be a reason for the higher heart rate. Windy has said this is his longest ride yet. I think he s been abit over zealous and probably hasnt paced himself and with this in mind my original point of warm up etc. still stands.

lukesdad

Havnt read anything about his nutrition.

If you go into the red at the start of a ride it will spell big trouble for the rest of it .

Dont over estimate what you are capable of.

yenrod

lukesdad said:
I agree that fatigue could be a reason for the higher heart rate. Windy has said this is his longest ride yet. I think he s been abit over zealous and probably hasnt paced himself and with this in mind my original point of warm up etc. still stands.

lukesdad said:
Havnt read anything about his nutrition.

Agree.

If you go into the red at the start of a ride it will spell big trouble for the rest of it .

Dont over estimate what you are capable of.

Agree.

Yep, its only pro's who can do the embolded..generally.

Top Bottom