Washer/dryer combo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I need a new washer and a new dryer.

Has anyone got experience of washer/dryer combos? Are they any good? Any model suggestions?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
We've had a Blomberg one for the past year (Beko but a bit better) and been impressed with it. They're a bit more expensive than mainstream, but decent capacity, efficiency and quiet - plus a 3 year guarantee.

Tenkaykev

Guru
If you have the room then certainly go for separate washer / drier. Another option is to buy a dehumidifier instead of a tumble dryer. Our daughter bought one as her flat can get quite damp in winter resulting in problems with mould. The dehumidifier has a “ dry clothes “ setting which works remarkably well.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Our place is really small- no room for both, so we've had one for a while. I never use it if I can dry outdoors (we have a small garden) but it saves a trip to the laundrette to dry during the winter- although there is a limit to how much you can dry- half a wash load roughly, the drum is smaller than a tumble dryer and they aren't as good at drying as a dedicated dryer. For things that dry quickly - shirts and cycling clothes- I tend to dry indoors with a dehumidifier running.

Ours is John Lewis branded- I think these were made by AEG at the time (had it quite a few years- we were going to get a Miele but Currys were pushing their warranties so hard we left and no-one else had one at the same price).

Reactions: C R

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
We've got a tiny dryer in our porch - does mean we can have a wash load on and a load in the dryer at the same time.

presta

Guru
I've had washer driers for 33 years, there's no room for separates. The first was a Hotpoint 9934, which lasted 12 years, then a Hotpoint WD61 which lasted 14 years, and the current one is an Indesit IWDE7125 which has been going for 7 years. Which often rave about the expensive ones like Miele, but they're three times the price, and I doubt they last three times as long. They're currently rating a Bosch as top, but one of their worst is also a Bosch. The others in the top 5 are a John Lewis and three AEGs. The cheapest of those is an AEG L7WEG814R at £600.

One minute of fact-checking suggests this is incorrect and the majority of John Lewis stuff is made by Electrolux.
10 seconds fact checking will show you that AEG is owned by Electrolux. Another minute in John Lewis where the AEG and own brands are parked side by side will show you they're virtually identical apart from the name on the front.

I'd avoid totally unless you can find one with particularly good credible write-ups.
Don't do anything well in my experience.
Strangely/sadly this came up in a conversation with a cycling acquintance recently.
We agreed that they were bad news and she said that a washing machine repairman had told her to avoid.

@ washer-driers
@ washers with particularly high spin speeds.

Said they broke down more often.

C R

Guru
I'd avoid totally unless you can find one with particularly good credible write-ups.
Don't do anything well in my experience.
Strangely/sadly this came up in a conversation with a cycling acquintance recently.
We agreed that they were bad news and she said that a washing machine repairman had told her to avoid.

@ washer-driers
@ washers with particularly high spin speeds.

Said they broke down more often.
That's not our experience.

KneesUp

Guru
We hired one back inn the day (1999) when you could do that - from Rumbelows, maybe? I can't remember. Anyway the flat we were in had no room for both a washer and a drier. We hired because everyone said 'it'll be rubbish, and it will break down all the time'. It was quite good, and it never broke down. I think it was Electrolux.

We now have separates but there is not space for both in the same room so it's a right faff. Too much life is wasted hauling washing and drying around the house; it's a three storey house with the washer on the ground floor, the drier on the middle floor and the majority of the washing (i.e. the kid) on the top floor. We're keeping an eye out in the sales for a combined one to go on the middle floor.

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom