Washer/dryer combo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
With a combo, the wash/dry cycle time will be lengthy. Separate machines will allow parallel processing.

If looking for a separate tumble drier and one which is a condenser drier. Check where the water collection tray is. The ones designed to be stacked have the water tray at the bottom which would be difficult if you plan on having them side by side.

That's not our experience.
But that's just you versus a washing machine repair man whose very job is to fix the things. All day. All week. I think he has more data.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
That's not our experience.
Sadly, that WAS my experience! The damn thing failed about once a year. It went the final time a day after the 5 year warranty expired so I scrapped it.

I'd paid £500 for it about 30 years ago and that was a LOT of money then. I bought it over a bank holiday weekend, went in after my break, and was promptly made redundant... That money would have come in very handy in the following months!

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
With a combo, the wash/dry cycle time will be lengthy. Separate machines will allow parallel processing.

If looking for a separate tumble drier and one which is a condenser drier. Check where the water collection tray is. The ones designed to be stacked have the water tray at the bottom which would be difficult if you plan on having them side by side.
Heat pump dryers are the way to go, but yes, check your water egress if indulging in stackery :smile:

byegad

Legendary Member
We've had one for years, in 30 yrs we are just on our third one. We rarely use the dryer. My waterproofs, when they need reproofing, are the main recipients.

si_c

Guru
We had a combined washer dryer for a few years when we lived in a flat, it was OK washing, but the dryer (even from new) barely got it beyond damp even on the longest drying time. It broke 3 times and repaired under warranty twice, the third time we replaced with a Samsung Eco Bubble washing machine (much, much, much better at washing) for half the price of a replacement washer/drier and used a dehumidifier for drying.

Since we've moved into a house we've got a separate Beko dryer with a condenser for water capture so no external hose. Frankly I'd never go back.

Were I to downsize I'd get a dehumidifer and a heated drying rail and use that instead of a drier, much more economical, not much slower to try and a better experience generally.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
@palinurus correct the first time . AEG is part of the Electrolux group.
...but the appliances are indeed made and re-badged by AEG, which nobody is disputing is a company which is part of a larger Group owned by Electrolux. Funnily enough I was having a conversation about heat pump dryers in JLP Oxford only 2-3 weeks ago and spoke to the Home Electricals man about how pleased we were with our AEG in drag, at which he smiled.

Sometimes I have little arguments amongst myself, too :laugh:

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
I wouldn't get a Bosch, just my experience though. Used to rate them but a washing machine I bought for £450 just over a couple of years ago would make me never buy again. 50% of the time the door interlock doesn't work and it just bleeps at you. You can sometimes be opening and closing the door, resetting the program for a couple of minutes to get it to start. It's had 3 new door/interlock switches, a new door and as a last resort a main PCB. When the PCB was replaced it stopped doing it for a couple of weeks, then slowly came back to how it has always been. It still does it and it's out of warranty, had 2 years. Bosch must've spent a fortune on it. I've just given up and live with it. Could've pushed it further, ran out of being arsed with the thing.

It's what you'd put up with a £150 Argos/Curry's Chinese special. My last £150 one lasted 6 years. I got the Bosch because you can replace the drum bearings, better for the environment than sealed bearing machines. If I could go back I'd of bought a Beko for half the price, with sealed bearings. This piece of crap doesn't even have a standalone spin cycle, like every cheapo machine I've had over the years does. I'd guess it's just made in China or Turkey with a nice fascia. It's an overpriced piece of mid-premium branded crap.

Top Bottom