Weird noise when pedalling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

silva

Über Member
So you say that the wheels spinning direction has a big impact on the noises volume.
That is only possible with something that has a hooked / sharkfin shape, for ex pallets of a freewheel, those are designed to roll over in one direction, and hook in (forced by springs) the other direction).

Cycleops

Legendary Member
'The stick ' won't be anything to do with it. The pinging sound is like something catching in the spokes to my ears but what do I know, it's not a cheap bike and shouldn't be there and as such needs to go back to the dealer as someone else said. Messing with it yourself might void your warranty so don't be tempted.

Last edited:

Punkawallah

Über Member
The good news is you’ve eliminated most of the bike from your list of possibilities :-)
I’d second the disc brake - and if the bike is new, take it back to the dealer. Unless it’s an ‘internet bike’, of course.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Easy way to check - pull the brake pads out and see if the noise goes away. If it doesn't and the disc is warped enough to catch the caliper itself then this should be obvious by eye, but pulling the caliper off would also verify it.

If it is a warped disc you can sometimes get lucky truing them with an adjustable spanner, or it's not a tricky or expensive job to replace.

Top Bottom