Well knock me down with a feather...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zaid

Like or hate Armstrong or Contador, the TDF would have been a poorer spectacle without them both taking part.

I don't know about anyone else here but I totaly enjoyed watching this Tour more than any of the Tours in recent years. ;)

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Chuffy said:
I thought you'd retired from this thread? Jeez even St Lance had the decency to stay away for three years before he made his comeback. You haven't even been gone three minutes. :bicycle:

It's all relative, see ;).

Anyway I'm back now and I'm here to WIN :ohmy:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The Tour was good...why...Wiggy and Cav............ come one.......... and the brothers......

I suspect Phil and Paul were commentating for an American channel - certainly some live internet feeds on the first few days were identical to what ITV4 had...... - i.e. ITV 4 just bought coverage, with the 'local' stuff being Garry..... and the lack of Chris....OK I know he had bike launches to do...but it was not much for him.......

Lance who..........his bike looks rubbish anyway.............:biggrin:

andrew_s

Legendary Member
fossyant said:
I suspect Phil and Paul were commentating for an American channel - certainly some live internet feeds on the first few days were identical to what ITV4 had.
They seemed to be doing all the English language commentary except for Eurosport - Versus in the US, ITV4 in the UK, SBS in Australia, Supersport in South Africa (at least).
Some of the US fora seemed to think it was in their contact that they had to mention Lance every 30 seconds :biggrin:.

I loved it when they went from saying how strong Lance looked, to just a few seconds later saying how Frank Schleck was having a bad day
- since Lance and Frank were climbing together, this didn't make any sense unless they were really saying that Frank is a far better rider than Lance...

But when they started saying what a shame it was that Lance hadn't got the yellow jersey, when Cancellara held onto it by 0.22sec, how it would have been so good to see Lance in yellow in his comeback tour, being such a great champion, etc...
That was almost enough to make me gag.

GilesM

Legendary Member
Whatever you think about Bertie and Lance, it is obvious that Bertie screwed up big time when he dropped Kloden, and towed team Andy and Frank away from him, if he hadn't done that Astana may have got 1,2,3 in Paris, it may have just been doumb or it might be for other reasons, but whatever the reason, it was not impressive.

GilesM said:
Whatever you think about Bertie and Lance, it is obvious that Bertie screwed up big time when he dropped Kloden, and towed team Andy and Frank away from him, if he hadn't done that Astana may have got 1,2,3 in Paris, it may have just been doumb or it might be for other reasons, but whatever the reason, it was not impressive.
Maybe after the way he was treated by the management he didn't feel that he owed them anything and was making a point?

girofan

Molecule Man said:
Oh yes, I remember now.
Personally, I don't think either of them comes out of this looking good. And perhaps Johan Bruyneel comes out of it looking even worse.
I pity the public relations team at Team Astana?

Astana PR team. Phil & Paul?

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
The people who think Lance Armstrong is the best cyclist ever are, I am afraid, a bit like those people who vote for Lord of the Rings as best film ever because it was the last film they remember...

For those frankly ignorant people, please take a look at Eddy Merckx's palmares:

Lance doesn't come close. He may well be the best cyclist of the last 10 years, but there's more than 100 years of cycling history beyond that, and several riders who top Lance.

It is worth reading this very detailed assessment (which also lays out its methodology in full for us to inspect). We had a brief discussion of it here.

Lance is rated as 11th - he might go up a place or two after coming back for third in this year's TdF at his age, I don't know...

Top Bottom