What animals have you seen on your rides?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fastpedaller

Just for a bit of fun, as per title.
I've often seen buzzards overhead, and more dramatically coming close (well it seems close!) when they take off from tree branches as I go past. Recently though, I've seen more red Kites than buzzards. I saw 2 muntjack deer in an adjacent field a couple of weeks ago, and a hare.
Last week (I confess we were in the car, not on bikes), we saw a black squirrel beside the A421 near Roxton - prior to that we only knew of grey or red squirrels (never seen a red)

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Just for a bit of fun, as per title.
I've often seen buzzards overhead, and more dramatically coming close (well it seems close!) when they take off from tree branches as I go past. Recently though, I've seen more red Kites than buzzards. I saw 2 muntjack deer in an adjacent field a couple of weeks ago, and a hare.
Last week (I confess we were in the car, not on bikes), we saw a black squirrel beside the A421 near Roxton - prior to that we only knew of grey or red squirrels (never seen a red)

I think black squirrels are an easter-european mutation of the grey, so should be considered in the same way..

As it happens I saw what I think was a stoat or weasil shoot across the cycle path infront of me last week, which is pretty unusual.

Over various rides I've seen most types of deer, the odd fox, pheasants, some grouse (I think) last week, loads of rabbits and squirrels, the odd rat... very occasionally a hare (which is a nice sight!), the usual ducks and geese, moorhens, think I saw an Egret last week too. many songbirds (seem to see a lot of finches). I've seen the odd Owl when out at night, Kestrels.. I see absolutely loads of buzzards and kites - especially above a property in the next village - which makes me wonder if it's perhaps home to some serial killers with an excess of spare body parts..

Sadly I don't recall ever seeing any hedgehogs or badgers..

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I was carved up by a badger while cycling on a dark night in Richmond Park. He came across the grass from the left and refused to give way, passing about four feet from my front wheel without breaking step before trundling away into the darkness.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Pretty sure I spotted a mermaid riding the Severn Bore today:
66..JPG

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
"Honey badger don't care" :tongue:

I suspect he was on a mission to meet a girlfriend.

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
Usual squirrels, deer, cats, dogs, ducks.
On tours, sheep and cows in the road, horses in fields, probably have some pics somewhere
The most majestic and memorable was an owl about 10 years ago on an old commute. Flew alongside of me for while before turning away, remember it vividly and often.
One of the best things about cycling and hiking for me is animals

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
The usual animals, with rides in the New Forest also yielding the eponymous ponies.

Less common but you often see them around Furzley on the northern edge of the NF are free-range pigs. They’re enormous but very, very chilled.

presta

Guru
Cycling:
Seals in Newquay harbour
Heron in Dentdale
Dead badger dumped at the side of the road near Coggeshall by badger baiters
Family of badgers feeding on kitchen scraps put out by the staff at Barrow House YHA
Grass snake at Ulting
A pair of camels in this field. WTF they were doing there IDK.
Deer, not muntjac
Sheep, lots of them.

Walking:
Rescued a gull trapped by its wing feathers on the barbed wire on top of St Bees Head
Seal on the Pembrokeshire Coast Path
Adders on the South West Way & at Uswayford
Pygmy Shrew at Solva on the Pembrokeshire Coast Path
Lapwings on Fremington Edge near Reeth
Gulls nesting on the ground in the Forest of Bowland
Llamas in Ennerdale and Forest of Bowland
Red Squirrels near Brigsteer in the forest under Scout Scar
Deer, muntjac & not muntjac
A goat wearing a hat, near Pendeen.
Foxes
Sheep, lots of them.

Top Bottom