What animals have you seen on your rides?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
A walrus.

HaEK&w=187&h=185&c=8&rs=1&qlt=90&o=6&dpr=1.3&pid=3.jpg

(BBC photo)

Seen resting in Seahouses harbour. Thought they were having us on when someone in the cafe said 'have you seen the walrus'.

Last edited:

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Again: on Holiday - so my ‘ride’ this week is a pair of Trainers. Saw this fellow as we were coming back to our Bungalow this afternoon……

Attachments

• DCD5D565-1DF7-4BEB-B143-BC243AC0C5FE.jpeg
    DCD5D565-1DF7-4BEB-B143-BC243AC0C5FE.jpeg
    186.2 KB · Views: 2

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Lots of badgers and foxes at night. The odd weasel. Deer of various sizes - a huge one ran across the fast downhill from Harefield and scared us witless!

A few interesting birds like a Reeves's pheasant, tawny and barn owls, buzzards, and oodles of red kites.

Cymro74

Saw my first black rabbit on a recent ride. As usual, my silent cycle ride means that wildlife doesn't notice me until the last moment. Apparently black rabbits are perfectly natural.

freiston

Veteran
My cycling is and has been limited to England but I get to see a fair bit of wildlife (but I won't try to list them all). I see deer quite regularly, usually solitary or in very small groups (I suspect mother with young) - red deer, fallow and muntjac by my reckoning - once I saw a large group of about 20 fallow deer making their way across the fields, jumping obstacles and squeezing through gaps in hedges - I found that quite spectacular.

At certain times of the year, I seem to do a lot of pheasant herding down the little lanes.

When I used to go out at night a lot, I would see lots of owls, foxes, badgers and bats (in my experience, the badgers try to outrun me and I end up slowing down to give them a chance). I've had a bat hunting in my headlamp beam, flying at the same speed as me and just in front for a short while, after the moths in my beam.

I once stopped on a single track lane to let a grass snake of about 2-3 feet cross the road - I didn't get my camera (phone) out in time to get a picture.

I turned a corner on a narrow lane through some woods as a buzzard was coming the other way round the corner. I think we both gave each other a shock and narrowly missed each other - I felt the wind from it on my face as it just missed my head.

Last week, whilst by the River Alne just outside Alcester, I stopped to take a picture and was just putting my camera away when I noticed a dark animal up the road. Turned out to be a mink - it trotted right past me and gave me a look like it wasn't bothered by me at all. I managed to get a couple of pictures but struggled with my laggy electronic camera with motorised zoom and hunting auto-focus.

Attachments

• P1020269.JPG
    P1020269.JPG
    238.7 KB · Views: 6
  • P1020270.JPG
    P1020270.JPG
    250.7 KB · Views: 3
Living near the coast, we see seagulls all the time. And there is a colony of wild parakeets. Very green. Very noisy.
There are some sparrowhawks to be seen over the fields, seeking out their prey.
And, if I ride through town, I see a zebra crossing........

figbat

Slippery scientist
All sorts. The usual deer, badgers, rabbits, hares, foxes, occasional field mouse, frogs and toads etc. loads of red kites around here, sometimes a buzzard. Often barn owls.

There was this one time I was cycling around Wiltshire and saw a giraffe.

nagden

Über Member
I am lucky to live in rural Normandy and have seen a variety of wildlife. Deer, red squirrels, badgers, foxes, wild boar. I have been close to some wild boar and I can't say I feel comfortable about it.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Saw my first black rabbit on a recent ride. As usual, my silent cycle ride means that wildlife doesn't notice me until the last moment. Apparently black rabbits are perfectly natural.
Used to see the odd one on Watership Down (where else?) in the 80s.

Top Bottom