What are cyclists doing to help their side of the argument

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Asked this by a non-cycling person, who has finally accepted the "Road Tax" situation & insurance for us to be on the road.

Obvious rebuttal of this question aside(what are motorists doing to help their cause). What are we, as cyclists doing to fight our corner & change the mindset of those who wish to ride a bike, but without regards for the rules of the road?

True we will all at sometime or other moan about what they are doing, be it pavement cycling or RLJ.

Do we wait for changes to be forced onto us or do we try & get the change done ourselves?

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I don't quite get what you are asking

What are we, as cyclists doing to fight our corner & change the mindset of those who wish to ride a bike
Why do we want to change the mindsets of those who wish to ride a bike?

Do we wait for changes to be forced onto us or do we try & get the change done ourselves?
what changes are you referring too?

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
I don't quite get what you are asking

Why do we want to change the mindsets of those who wish to ride a bike? but without regards for the rules of the road?

what changes are you referring too?

At least qoute the question in its full form not just part of it.

As for changes, compulsory daylight running lights, registration, MOT or similar to prove the bike is fit to be on the road & not forgetting the compulsory helmet debate. Possible exclusion from some major roads, A Roads, not motorways.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
The law abiding majority should have nothing to worry about. However there needs to be a clear understanding from the descenters that those bad cyclists are not us, and are not encouraged. There also needs to be an understanding that when they moan about bad drivers (and they do) its often done with an element of fear that the Police will "pick" on them instead, a fear that "speeding is hard to avoid"... this is in stark contrast to most cycling communties (online and in person) who consistently repeat that the Police should and must deal with errant road use, even cyling based.

The point is that there ISNT an argument.

The majority of cyclists dont actually need their mindset changed. That there is no recognition of this shows that there is an element of bigotry, even stupidity.

fimm

Veteran
As for changes, compulsory daylight running lights, registration, MOT or similar to prove the bike is fit to be on the road & not forgetting the compulsory helmet debate. Possible exclusion from some major roads, A Roads, not motorways.

There are cycling organisations (the CTC is one national example, and there are local ones as well) that campaign against this sort of thing. Is that what you mean?

(Downfader, the word you want is dissenters.)

True we will all at sometime or other moan about what they are doing, be it pavement cycling or RLJ.

Clearly you've done nothing or you would know about http://www.stopatred.org/

However, some road users break laws. Some of them happen to be cyclists. Some of them happen to be drivers. When I see drivers remonstrating with other drivers for speeding, sitting in the ASL, talking on their mobiles, running red lights...... I might think about remonstrating with cyclists who cross red lights or cycle on the pavement. But it hasn't happened yet so until then I will just accept that both groups have law breakers amongst them and leave it for the police to deal with.

Ian 74

I don't understand this us and them thingy?

Don't most of "us" own cars drive, pay road tax and insurance?

So we should be able to see both points of view.

Saying that I have had my fair share of arguments with drivers whilst I've been out on my bike, normally after being honked at for some unknown reason and as I don't have a horn on my bike I used to wave the fingers back at them as they pasted (saying that the best course of action is to give a friendly wave and cheery smile).

Hey on the flip side seeing two cyclists pootling along side by side taking up the whole side of the road whilst you are in the car trying to get past annoys me as well, (when my wife and I are out for a spin if we hear a car coming we drop into single file till it passes then form up and carry on chatting) I don't honk my horn, I wait patiently and mutter to myself about them being ignorant bastards.... Both sets of road users do things to get on each others tits.

MrHappyCyclist

Riding the Devil's HIghway
What are we, as cyclists doing to ... change the mindset of those who wish to ride a bike, but without regards for the rules of the road?
Do you mean like http://www.sillycyclists.co.uk/ for example?

Hey on the flip side seeing two cyclists pootling along side by side taking up the whole side of the road whilst you are in the car trying to get past annoys me as well, (when my wife and I are out for a spin if we hear a car coming we drop into single file till it passes then form up and carry on chatting)

If cars can drive round with seats two abreast and one of them mostly empty I don't see why they have problems with cyclists going around with seats two abreast, both occupied. At least the cyclists are talking to each other to justify it while you in your car have no excuse for that extra empty seat that makes you so wide you can't overtake of be overtaken easily.

JonnyBlade

Live to Ride
there is no argument

some people ride bikes

some people don't

+1 There is no argument from me. I am entitled to be on the road on my bike and that's that. I abide by the regulations of the road traffic act and my only 'crime' is that I cannot move as quick as a motor vehicle and the driver's ankles may swell and he/she become uncomfortable having to push 4-5 inches onto a series of pedals right in front of his/her feet :whistle:

Not only do I insure my bike (the loss of Stan would be too much to bear) I have public liability insurance to cover other road users should I do something stupid :rolleyes:

Ian 74

If cars can drive round with seats two abreast and one of them mostly empty I don't see why they have problems with cyclists going around with seats two abreast, both occupied. At least the cyclists are talking to each other to justify it while you in your car have no excuse for that extra empty seat that makes you so wide you can't overtake of be overtaken easily.

That's funny... I think it is really a question of relative speeds rather than width... My main point about the vast majority of us being drivers as well as cyclists should make use more considerate road users... (Yes I know you get the odd knob head to fond of honking his horn, or you feel the brush of the wing mirror from some spatially unaware myopic pie faced fatherless.....) In a perfect world, eh?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Obvious rebuttal of this question aside(what are motorists doing to help their cause). What are we, as cyclists doing to fight our corner & change the mindset of those who wish to ride a bike, but without regards for the rules of the road?

Some options....

Moan at them in person in real time on the basis that their knob jockery will get me tarred with their brush. Usual response to this rhymes with cough.

Encourage them to take some form of training. Usual response also rhymes with cough.

Accept that everybody who rides a bicycle isn't a cyclist and the behaviour of other people on bicycles and, indeed, other cyclists, is not my problem (in exactly the same way as I don't hold law-abiding drivers to account for the antics of their bell-end colleagues.) Usual response is me riding away with a silly smug grin on my face whilst gently shaking my head.

:biggrin:

Top Bottom